Remap

Anything F-Type related......
DarkLumen

Post by DarkLumen »

I also headed out in the rain today and tried out the rain mode which meant the back was only excitable. I agree the P zeros are not great just deciding if to get some winter tyres to pop on any recommendations? I have the 20" 5039 rims.

scm

Post by scm »

I've not tried rain mode in the F-Type yet, but in the XKR it softened things so much that I couldn't judge how much right foot to apply and ended up overcooking it. I'm used to the "normal" response so modulate that known quantity better than fighting what the car thinks is best. Maybe if I used that mode more often I'd get to terms with it.

I've never used winter tyres as, IME, the weather's never been that bad for long enough to justify them. Steve Cropley of Autocar(?) used Pirelli winters all year on their XKR and loved them. I've also seen recommendations for Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

For me, the biggest negative of using tyres that cope well with winter is avoiding people who aren't using them. I prefer to stay off the road!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
AdrianL

Post by AdrianL »

Ive have M3`s a few 911`s AMG Merc`s the P zeros are by far the worst tyres ive driven in the wet, so unpredictable and twitchy , driving home yesterday a 40 mile trip soaking wet roads so driving slowly I had 3 moments , low speeds totally unexpected and not provoked in anyway ,P4S £280.00 each for the back its a must for me .
2019MY i4
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

AdrianL wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:31 pm ... P4S £280.00 each for the back its a must for me .
Surely you would want to match the fronts for that all round predictability? I know on the Honda that mixing front to rear leads to an awful experience when others have tried it. I cant imagine the F-type to be any happier with a F2R mis-match ....
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Kind of hijacking this thread now, but ive done about 30 miles today and not one twitch and I wasn't hanging around. The back slides a little on corner exit but that is what I would expect in the rain. What am I missing here? What PSI is everyone on the P Zero running?

I really need to find a P Zero (new type) versus Michelin none bias review.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
AdrianL

Post by AdrianL »

Yes im doing all 4 fronts and backs .
2019MY i4
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

glad I have a 4x
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I went through the first winter with brand new Pirelli's, no problem at all. The second winter was maybe not quite as good, rears could spin up in the wet when provoked with use of a heavy foot, but still OK. I wasn't seeing any need to change to Michelin's at all at that point.

Then last winter, with circa 4mm tread remaining , the Pirelli's suddenly became horrendous anytime the temp dropped under say 10 degrees. It seems the P Zero's are fine until they are more than half worn, at which point they quickly go off. However, I wouldn't change them until it's necessary, it'll be very obvious when they reach that wear point.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

Lots of Americans (on another site) claim the difference between PZeros and MP4S is "night and day". I'm prepared to put that to the test when my tyres need replacing (in about 3 years!).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I just send an email to Dale Lomas, testdriver for JLR in Germany on the Nürnburgring / Nordschleife. His speciality is wet highspeed driving as he started on the circuit with a motorbike and only drove cars on it in the wet... .. I did a lap with him driving an XJ SVR limo in the rain at 280kmh, with a laptime of 9.32min on a tourist day... :mrgreen:

On a full day on the track he burns one set of rubber.. :lol:

20180705_171351.jpg

Notice the DIRECT website for bookings.. .. also F-Type SVR, but only one passenger..

20180705_171337.jpg

Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post