Potential F Type buyer - which one?

Anything F-Type related......
SMCN101

Post by SMCN101 »

Hi guys, first time post here but have very much enjoyed reading previous threads. I am currently in the market for a sport a car and the Jaguar F Type has really caught my eye! Already test drove a 380 and was absolutely thrilled with it from the noise to the sheer buzz of how quick it can move.

I was going to buy brand new but the delay times on Jag builds right now doesn’t suit my circumstances so will be looking to buy used which opens more doors. Was seriously looking at buying a 400 Sport when I realised there was V8’s in the same price range. Now I know these cars aren’t bought with running costs in mind but I sometimes have to use my car for work which can involve long drives down the motorway several hundred miles.

My question is for motorway driving how big of a difference is there between the mpg of a V6 and a V8? Iv seen mixed comments on this subject on previous threads was hoping someone could share their experiences in this?

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Welcome to the posting side :)

I can’t give you a direct comparison, but as someone who also does occasional long work journeys I can vouch that in the right conditions a V6 will nudge 40mpg.
...and you’ll probably be bored senseless!!

I tend to drive eco outbound and fun inbound, so overall not too bad.

Depending on your claim circumstances it’s possible to end up paying for the journey after mileage expense reimbursement, so perhaps not the ideal situation.

But you get to have fun while being at work and paid for it so what the hell 🙂
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

Have a look at The F-Type hypermiling Challenge thread:viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2751

I would expect the V6 and V6S to return near identical mileages inn 'normal' driving.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

I can't speak for the V6's but my R 2WD is pretty consistent at low 20's for spirited driving and very high 20's for cruising. It wouldn't please the green party but for 570 BHP I'm quite impressed. 70pmh on the motorway is only 1,500 rpm.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I regularly do Notts to London on M1. Typically get mid to high 30's. Which is a combination of cold start, city, stop/start and typical motorway 70, 50 roadworks, traffic, blast etc.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
basher

Post by basher »

SMCN101 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 pm My question is for motorway driving how big of a difference is there between the mpg of a V6 and a V8? Iv seen mixed comments on this subject on previous threads was hoping someone could share their experiences in this?
Depends on how you drive it, and road conditions, etc.

Can't comment on V8, but my 400 does mid to high 30s when cruising, but I rarely cruise.
70mph is just so s-l-o-w. :mrgreen:

Try them all out, if you can, but my suggestion is not to buy an F-Type based on fuel consumption.
Rather, base it on smiles per gallon!
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
SMCN101

Post by SMCN101 »

Thanks for the replies guys, your info has been very helpful. It’s good to know fairly good numbers are achievable on long motorway drives, for personal miles I don’t mind what the mpg is to be honest but it’s good to know my mileage claimed back from my company will cover my long journeys down south (with a few extra phantom miles added in to the sheet lol)

Had a look at the hypermileing thread you posted the link too, that’s where the confusion sets in seeing these guys in V8’s posting such good numbers. I seen another thread somewhere and a few guys swore blind the V8 was more efficient than their V6’s ever were, it just doesn’t seem possible lol. I can see the 400 being bought in the end most likely though due to being hit with £1500 for my cheapest insurance quote on a V8! scandalous considering I have had my license for 13 years without as much a mark on it.
davidd

Post by davidd »

That seems a lot, I think I pay about £500 with admiral on a multi car policy. I am very old though ;)
SMCN101

Post by SMCN101 »

There is definetely benefits to getting old that’s for sure haha. Weird considering for a V6 my insurance comes out at only 750, I really do wonder how they come up with these numbers.

Decided I’m going to rent a V8 for the day to get a feel for it, learn what it can and can’t do and wether it suits my driving. I think this will give me a better understanding and make the decision a bit easier.
scm

Post by scm »

Like others, I can't speak for the V6s, bu tI have been impressed by the efficiency of my V8R AWD. I came from a 5.0 XKR and find the F-Type is actually more economical (well, less thirsty!) despite having 40 bhp more. I log every tank of fuel I use (yeah, I know!) and for my mostly short journeys I have averaged 34.64 pence per mile, so you'll not be out of pocket at IR's permitted 45 ppm.

As noted above, the F-Type is an awesome car, and the V8 soundtrack is brilliant. If you give us your location maybe someone on hear is near and can give you an earful! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post