Android Auto and Apple carplay. Not for all recent F-Types.

Anything F-Type related......
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

scm wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:36 am I sympathise with your situation, but this analogy isn't really appropriate - there's a world of difference between updating a smartphone with a bit of software, and updating a car that requires additional hardware. I can't see many smartphone manufacturers updating back level phones with, say, extra cameras because the latest model has more, or adding more memory because the updated software takes up more space.
In my car there should not have been a requirement for additional hardware if they would not have stripped the infotainment before delivery. My brochure tells me I have 'In control touch pro' and a '..60Gb SSD with 10Gb media storage.." . Now the 'wifi hotspot' wasn't mentioned as such, but the part on the 'in control touch pro' switched me to a global JLR website were they said 'all in control touch pro systems come with a WiFi hotspot..' . There were no footnotes about 'availability van vary in certain markets' ; this they added AFTER I filed my complaints...

Regarding smartphones : I am done with Samsung for this very reason. I bought a 'top-of-the-range' Galaxy S6 edge in 2015 for € 700,- .
In 2017 they decided NOT to upgrade android on that phone. As a result my paid apps [ that did adept to newer android versions] would freeze and block the phone. I did a factory reset several times, lost a lot of important data as I forgot I switched 'synchronise' off, finally gave it to my son. He simply blocked automatic updates, removed all bloatware and is vert happe with it as he doesn't use the paid apps I need... Never ever again Samsung, like Microsoft and the likes...

So when I replace my TV's or anything, also these will not be from Samsung anymore. Once I'm alienated with a supplier its permanent for me.

And no : I don't need Android Auto. Unless I can use it to run Torque on it... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Dan_Veluwe on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

PhilB wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:28 am Consumer Law should be pretty straightforward as in the UK if the car isn't as ordered/advertised then it's a straight rejection and I would imagine it's pretty similar across the EU . Good luck with your legal challenge.
In the rest of the EU one can not reject a car... ... typically British.. 8-)
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:32 pm
PhilB wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:28 am Consumer Law should be pretty straightforward as in the UK if the car isn't as ordered/advertised then it's a straight rejection and I would imagine it's pretty similar across the EU . Good luck with your legal challenge.
In the rest of the EU one can not reject a car... ... typically British.. 8-)
I'll take that as a compliment for our consumer protection law.
:D
A quick search online shows plenty of consumer protection rules in the EU so i hope things get worked out for you.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I rejected [ Android ] Auto... :mrgreen:
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

My F type is booked in for apple car play upgrade ... this attachment may help others
pathfinder-0075.pdf
(182.25 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@Kaspa.
Thanks for sharing this ! But I do not see for which markets it is intended. I've been told 'no WiFi= no Android Auto' ...
Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Hello

Don't know ? all I know is that in the UK its available and is booked in at the dealers . .so all OK for me, mine is a my18 model
regards
Deleted User 1481

Post by Deleted User 1481 »

kaspa does your car have a 10 inch touch screen or the smaller one? I have an MY18 with the smaller screen, and would like to get ApplePlay if possible?

Did your dealer know about the upgrade, or did you have to brief them on it?
Deleted User 1481

Post by Deleted User 1481 »

Quick update: my dealer said it would be no problem to book it in for an upgrade, but probably wont do it till its due for a service in Jan.

kaspa: can you let us know your experience with the update and how you get on with CarPlay?

Thanks!
Myer

Post by Myer »

I really do not know what all the fuss is about, I use my iPhone to connect to BBC radio / Spotify or other apps and simply connect via USB or Bluetooth. OK it might not be perfect but it does the job, it would be nice to replicate the iPhone on the car display but its not the end of the world.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post