Frozen windows?

Anything F-Type related......
andrewkidney

Post by andrewkidney »

As icy weather is about to arrive, as a new coupe owner, I am wondering if icy weather freezes up the top of the windows which could result in the doors not opening?

I am interested in the experience of others.

Andrew

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

In a word yes.
Unfortunately practical winter testing doesn’t seem to have been a high design priority.
As well as the windows not dropping you might experience the rubber seals freezing and having the opportunity to test the strength of the pop out door handles.
Get some Wurth or similar rubber seal treatment stick.
Also worth spraying de-icer on the bottom window seal where ice quickly builds up.
If you take a bit of care you’ll be fine.

Edit:
Not sure if the windows drop on a coupe too, but the advice is the same.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

What Lunar said. My previous XKR was a nightmare when it was icy - I often had to force the door open and had quite a job getting it to stay closed when I was inside. Brute force eventually sorted that out. The other issue I had with the XKR was that the folded mirrors froze and wouldn't fold out. I used to disable the foldback during cold weather to avoid such problems, but that's not possible on the F-Type - it's a dealer-only setting and I don't fancy traipsing all the way to the dealer to have it done and subsequently undone (probably at a high cost!). I wonder why Jaguar stopped it being user-settable. I haven't had the F-Type long enought to be frozen yet, so I'm waiting to have this experience.

And yeah, windows drop on the coupe.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

Gummi pflege is good on the rubbers.
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
andrewkidney

Post by andrewkidney »

Thank you Lunar, for your practical advice and solution to this problem.

I have immediately ordered some Wurth Gummi Pflege on eBay.

Andrew
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

scm wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:31 pm I wonder why Jaguar stopped it being user-settable.
Well, that wouldn't make much difference at all... With my LR3 the setting to 'dip' the mirrors when reversing is programmable,
strangely it subsequently 'forgets' what you programmed it to do. Not the next day. Certainly not always. But on & off in a complete
random way it would dip or not.. Even if you had the dealer disable it ; it would just continue to dip... :cry:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
scm

Post by scm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:16 pm
scm wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:31 pm I wonder why Jaguar stopped it being user-settable.
Well, that wouldn't make much difference at all...
It made all the difference to my XKR, no foldback so no unusable frozen mirrors.

The dip on reverse is another pain on the F-Type - on the XKR you could set the dip how you liked and it would remember it. On the F-Type it's a fixed setting and is too low for my taste, you can adjust it "on-the-fly" but it can't be saved. The F-Type is much better overall than the XKR (IMO) but the XKR did a few things better.
AngieR

Post by AngieR »

I dread the cold weather. Last year was a nightmare, half an hour to open the doors due to windows not dropping, then once defrosted door wouldn't close.
P300 R Dynamic - 2021
British Racing Green Metallic
Pano Roof
20" Wheels Dark Grey Diamond Turned Finish.
Lots of extras.
scm

Post by scm »

I didn't find the window not dropping was an issue in opening the XKR's door (I think the rubber was quite flexible), but the closing took a lot of slamming. But like you I dread the cold weather.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

My little MiTo has a remarkable amount of simularities with the FT. It starts with the Ingenium [UniAir] valve actuators ; actually Alfa was the first car manufacturer to introduce it as 'MultiAir' . The MiTo has the lowering of the windows if you pull the doorhandle and no frame around the doors, although the MiTo never came out as a cabrio. There are more simularities, but I just can not remember them right now. I have them standing side to side, so it strikes me every time.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|