Oil change... ... robbery ?!!!

Anything F-Type related......
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

In the light of the discussion about oil live and effects of hybernating the car, I asked what it would cost to change the oil..

First I suggested to change it now, and forget about it in march 2019, as I won't drive it in between. That is not possible
in the maintenance sceme ; only around the 'one year' mark or at '26.000' driven...

So I asked for a quote. The filter is not too bad : € 13,50 . But the oil [ 6.5 liter ] costs € 25,- per liter :shock: ...
Thats not 'trade' , thats robbery !!! By the oil manufacturer ofcourse, the dealer doesn't get it for free either.

Changing the oil comes too € 300,- ... :cry:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

Tall dad

Post by Tall dad »

I long gave up asking dealers to do servicing/repair work on my cars. They once did a service on a Jag then quoted me £1,400 for replacement brakes, I took it to my trusted mechanic who rightly said I had a year left on the back brakes and he would do the fronts for £200.

He's had all of my work since.
Italian Racing Red - V6S Coupe 2016 - Exterior Black Design Pack - Climate - Parking - Visibility -Performance Seats - 14 Way Memory - Red Seatbelts - Happy
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I always buy my own oil and provided it's to the right JLR spec they will use it for the service.
Saves a fair bit of money.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Dealers here won't use anything they don't supply...
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I even supplied my plugs at the major service. Dealer happy as they were correct spec (and1/3 price:))

Last service though dealer oil was almost same price as if I supplied so paid them and avoided hassle
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I always use Opie Oils as they often have deals plus I believe the boss was an F-Type man and there was a discount code for F-Type members?
They now have a better choice for the "5122" spec instead of the Castrol Edge Pro that was expensive and hard to find at one time.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/search/go?w=stjlr.51.5122
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

The offer is available to any club, just as a mod or site owner register on their affiliate programme. I had it in Z4 and Jeeps
Last edited by cj10jeeper on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Just found the thread.
Just enter "FTYPE" in the box for a 10% discount when ordering.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1979
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Second vote for Opie Oils ... used them for years and saved plenty ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
BJagH

Post by BJagH »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 am In the light of the discussion about oil live and effects of hybernating the car, I asked what it would cost to change the oil..

First I suggested to change it now, and forget about it in march 2019, as I won't drive it in between. That is not possible
in the maintenance sceme ; only around the 'one year' mark or at '26.000' driven...

So I asked for a quote. The filter is not too bad : € 13,50 . But the oil [ 6.5 liter ] costs € 25,- per liter :shock: ...
Thats not 'trade' , thats robbery !!! By the oil manufacturer ofcourse, the dealer doesn't get it for free either.

Changing the oil comes too € 300,- ... :cry:
In reality the price for engine oil is very cheap considering exactly what it needs to be able to withstand in your engine. Beer costs more and it's essentially water!
If they are charging you that much at the dealership, they are taking the pi£&!
That's not what they pay the oil company, that's the dealer recovering the cost of his nice carpeted floor and free coffees !
As others have said, supply your own, but don't skimp on the specification or quality

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post