Winter storage for F-Type R

Anything F-Type related......
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Hi guys,

My F-Type is now parked for the winter for the first time during my ownership.

What should I do to ensure it is taken care of properly? Increase the tire pressure? Connect a battery maintainer/ conditioner? Put in dehumidifiers?

The car will be stored indoors in a warm garage.

Grateful for any tips!

Thanks,

Jonas

IMG_20181123_224529.jpg

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

There is a recent topic about this in the "Car Care" section:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2950
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Carcoon or similar products are excellent to keep your pride and joy both dust free and humidity free. Also comes with a battery conditioner.
Silica gel products that they sell for placing in caravans over the winter are a good idea and cost very little. I put one inside and one in the boot. surprising how much moisture they draw out.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

Thanks for the link and the good tip. Will check it out!
chicb

Post by chicb »

I would get an indoor car cover, as its amazing how much dust collects while the car is sitting. I bought one from "Every Car Covered" & am very happy with it. There are lots of choices out there, but OEM Jaguar will rip you off price wise.
What works for me is :-
Wash the car, ensuring the brake discs are totally dry. I spray Bilt Hammer Atom-Mac on to the discs. Its an anti corrosive. You can spray it anyplace you want. Maybe a bit over kill but I'm a bit OCD :o
Add 10 lbs pressure to the tyres
Full tank of fuel which will prevent condensation/corrosion in the tank then add a fuel stabilizer. (Some say a fairly empty tank as fuel degrades), but I have never found this.
Ctek battery conditioner. I also never lock the car but that's subjective.
Silica gel in passenger compartment & boot
Gummi Pflege on all rubber seals around door & boot. Keeps seals supple. Also recommended for people who use their cars thro the winter as it stops the doors freezing to the seals
Don't start the car & let it idle as you will only introduce condensation under the bonnet & in the exhaust
As I said this works for me
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
Jlsthlm

Post by Jlsthlm »

chicb wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:37 pm I would get an indoor car cover, as its amazing how much dust collects while the car is sitting. I bought one from "Every Car Covered" & am very happy with it. There are lots of choices out there, but OEM Jaguar will rip you off price wise.
What works for me is :-
Wash the car, ensuring the brake discs are totally dry. I spray Bilt Hammer Atom-Mac on to the discs. Its an anti corrosive. You can spray it anyplace you want. Maybe a bit over kill but I'm a bit OCD :o
Add 10 lbs pressure to the tyres
Full tank of fuel which will prevent condensation/corrosion in the tank then add a fuel stabilizer. (Some say a fairly empty tank as fuel degrades), but I have never found this.
Ctek battery conditioner. I also never lock the car but that's subjective.
Silica gel in passenger compartment & boot
Gummi Pflege on all rubber seals around door & boot. Keeps seals supple. Also recommended for people who use their cars thro the winter as it stops the doors freezing to the seals
Don't start the car & let it idle as you will only introduce condensation under the bonnet & in the exhaust
As I said this works for me
Wow, thanks a lot! I just need to figure out when to fill up the car and tires - the first layer of snow is here now so it's kind of "stuck" in the garage. :)

I'll go get some Gummi Pflege, silica gel and a CTek battery conditioner right away though. I already have the OEM cover from Jaguar, so the damage's already done there in terms of getting ripped off.

Thanks again!
ml276

Post by ml276 »

Not storing the car for winter. Will only be stationery for 2 weeks on the drive :lol:

Fuel almost running out (from the last day of December - so quite old).

My question is do I leave the tank empty (on 5-10% from December's fuelling), or fill it up max/halfway. Or does it make no difference as its only a matter of weeks? :lol:

Thanks in advance
MY16 V6S Coupe Corris Grey
chicb

Post by chicb »

Leaving it for two weeks, :o I would not do anything. If you have a Ctek hook it up but it should be ok without it.
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
chicb

Post by chicb »

They sit at the dealers for months with next to no fuel (funny that). Also sit at airports for a couple of weeks with no problems unless your like me who left the interior light on (few years ago & not a Jag) & surprise the battery was flat after two weeks :oops: :(
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
ml276

Post by ml276 »

chicb wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:10 pm They sit at the dealers for months with next to no fuel (funny that). Also sit at airports for a couple of weeks with no problems unless your like me who left the interior light on (few years ago & not a Jag) & surprise the battery was flat after two weeks :oops: :(
Haha very true. Thanks for putting things into perspective :lol:
MY16 V6S Coupe Corris Grey

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post