Joining the F type ranks , any advice pls.

Anything F-Type related......
R Toy

Post by R Toy »

Hi folks ,
After nearly 20 yrs of Tvr ownership Ive decided its time move to something with a little more spec and comfort .

Always liked the Ftype and I think this is going to be the new ‘weapon of choice ‘

I’ve been trawling sales sites , I’m on a budget of my car and 10k so I’m at the lower end of the price range . (35k ish)
I’ve come across a v6 s with quick shift within my budget . Low mileage 16k but a 2013 model.

There are newer cars at similar price with higher mileage, but non S models and non quick shift.
Is there a big difference between the standard and S models ?
And is ‘quick shift’ a worthwhile extra ? Or is it standard on the S ?
Did the earlier build cars suffer from problems that have been ironed out on say a 2016 model ?
Also the car I’m looking at has the upgraded seats, anyone have opinions on these . Certainly look great imo .

The car will be purely a fun car with low annual mileage , (unless my wife takes a shine to it ! )
Be grateful for any advice or opinions regarding models etc and things to look out for when buying.

Many thanks, Dave

scm

Post by scm »

Isn't the "quickshift" just the 8-speed gearbox that's fitted across the range? Does any early F-Type have a 6-speed box?

As to the upgraded seats - you should find them excellent. My must-haves were a heated windscreen and heated and cooled seats, but I'm picky. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I own a base 2014 340 V6 Coupe which is also a weekend garage queen for drives to meets, coffee shops & anywhere for the sake of it!

Personally, I’d go for a low mileage (lots out there) older model V6, then add upgrades/mods as the budget/desire allows. There’s nothing the V6S has that I miss, or desire, on any grand scale.

For peace of mind, Jaguar main dealer will offer a 2-Year Warranty.

Absolute must have options...

20”Alloys
Pan Roof
Switchable Active Exhaust
Black Pack

Have done a few bits to mine, black pack (purchased with chrome bits), grill, callipers. Going to be lowered in Spring & tune once warranty expires which will take it over 400bhp anyway.

Loads of very knowledgeable film on here will help you 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

V6S has a LSD. Also (as standard) has the switchable active exhaust, configurable dynamics, performance brakes as standard , different colour trim and a few other bits and pieces.

I sold my low mileage 14 plate V6S last year. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Loved it. Go for a well looked after low mileage one.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Quickshift is just marketing speak for the gear change programming, so ignore it.

For me the performance seats were a must but you might struggle to find them - seem an awful lot with the std. ones.

Ex. TVR you might also want the switchable active exhaust - works great with a convertible :D

Sounds to me like you should be looking for an S with the bigger brakes and mechanical LSD - early ones also had launch control.

Steering changed from hydraulic to electric but very little difference, albeit with some tramlining tendancies anyway.

Staying within the Approved Used Jag dealership will get you a strong 2 year warranty too.

They don't seem to be handling the pre '64 plate cars much now, but good luck with the search!

...and we'll need photo proof of what you find.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I believe the S is worth every penny over the standard and will retain value better as they age. LSD, bigger brakes, 40bhp more and in general higher spec than what was the base model in the era.
I opted for a higher mileage S than base of the same age and have zero regrets after 18 months of ownership
As above make sure you have the active exhaust or you will cry about it later..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
R Toy

Post by R Toy »

Thanks for the feedback guys, v much appreciated .

I called in at the local dealership today , they'd had a blue convertible in but it has been moved on . Only one in stock was a new coupe in the same blue colour which does look amazing but at 70k a little over my budget.
Anyway I plied the sales rep for info over a coffee and learnt a few things. The 2 yr Jag warranty is standard on all approved cars under 5 yrs old which does make the dealership price more acceptable.
As a few of you mentioned the 'quick shift' is the standard 8 speed autobox , just been quoted on some adds and not on others made me think it was an extra.
I think it will have to be a convertible S model , Worth it for the Lsd and the active exhaust (and another 40hp helps :) )

I've got a couple lined up to view hopefully this week , I need to get there while this impulsive mood lasts .

And I most certainly will be posting a few pics when I have one.

Just need to sell my Tuscan now ! In December ! could be interesting..
nurgle

Post by nurgle »

I was in the same space about 18 months ago. Bought a V6 S convertible at about £36K from a dealer. Really enjoying it, however some things to check on test drive ( from my ownership experience):

1) Listen for any "squeak" coming from the exhaust. A way to test it is to (stationary) rev the engie past just past 2,500 revs from idle. You may hear a squeak as you go up past 1800 or so and when you let you foot off the gas, it will then squeak on the way back down again. Typical of broken active exhaust valves. (dealer replaced my full exhaust box under the no quibble return)

2) Moving at slow speed, turn the wheel in quarter turns left to full lock then right. If you hear any grinding from the rear, that gets worse with the greater lock then the differential needs checking. Mine broke after a few months and was replaced under warranty.

3) Listen for any thump from the rear at slow speed esp going over bumps. Long standing, Jaguar known issue with the isolator sleeves on the rear suspension. £300 or so I've been quoted (not under warranty).

4) Take some music and listen to the stereo. Make sure you've got something with a bit of bass. At medium volume listen out for any rattles from the door speakers. Again, known problem (JSB) that adds more tape and foam within the door panels to address this. Fairly common it seems. Dealer did as goodwill.

Enjoy looking and playing with a few. They are lovely cars :)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I think you'll find the exhaust isnt covered under the extended warranty.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
scm

Post by scm »

Timbo wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:30 pm I think you'll find the exhaust isn't covered under the extended warranty.
Then make it a condition of accepting the car - it has to be free of defects when sold. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post