Electric anyone

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

A specific electric F-Type (e-Type anyone? :D) should be very stable as those batteries would give a nice low centre of gravity. Some articles I've read have speculated that it might be available as either electric or petrol-engined, so the design would have to be compromised to accommodate both. Whatever, if it's a Jag, it's bound to be awesome!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I'm not convinced about "all electric" cars...... yet... until technology of power, range and charge times gets better.

Mainly because this week I've ended up doing 600 miles and range issues and anxiety. How would my annual drive through France, Switzerland, Italy work out (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2258&hilit=switzerland).....?? Probably a lot of stops and waiting!

The other issue is weight. The F-type at 1500 - 1700kg is heavier than most sports cars. i-pace is over 2100kg!

For me the ultimate G-type or whatever it ends up being called might be a Hybrid (dare I say this!?!?). AWD v6 400bhp plus 400bhp battery would be awesome but weight and physically fitting it all in would be an issue. Maybe 2L 4-pot 300bhp + 200bhp battery? Best of both worlds?

Unless something like this with crazy numbers and 620 mile range is what we aiming at? https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/roadster - looks good too!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

The best sort of hybrid (IMO) would have a small petrol engine driving a generator to power an all-electric drivetrain. If it works for trains .... :)
No range anxiety, quick "recharge" time (just fill the petrol tank!), what's not to like?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tall dad

Post by Tall dad »

simpleR wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 pm I'm not convinced about "all electric" cars...... yet... until technology of power, range and charge times gets better.

Mainly because this week I've ended up doing 600 miles and range issues and anxiety. How would my annual drive through France, Switzerland, Italy work out (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2258&hilit=switzerland).....?? Probably a lot of stops and waiting!

The other issue is weight. The F-type at 1500 - 1700kg is heavier than most sports cars. i-pace is over 2100kg!

For me the ultimate G-type or whatever it ends up being called might be a Hybrid (dare I say this!?!?). AWD v6 400bhp plus 400bhp battery would be awesome but weight and physically fitting it all in would be an issue. Maybe 2L 4-pot 300bhp + 200bhp battery? Best of both worlds?

Unless something like this with crazy numbers and 620 mile range is what we aiming at? https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/roadster - looks good too!
Damn. I was just about to rant that every all-electric car I have seen looks like a family saloon. But this! Damn! 1.9 seconds, poor Bugatti Cheyron.
Italian Racing Red - V6S Coupe 2016 - Exterior Black Design Pack - Climate - Parking - Visibility -Performance Seats - 14 Way Memory - Red Seatbelts - Happy
PussCat

Post by PussCat »

scm wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:24 pm The best sort of hybrid (IMO) would have a small petrol engine driving a generator to power an all-electric drivetrain. If it works for trains .... :)
No range anxiety, quick "recharge" time (just fill the petrol tank!), what's not to like?
Also works for the BMW i3 REx (which they are discontinuing, despite it being 60% of their i3 sales in UK). In the i3 Rex, the small generator/engine works best to back up a medium sized battery for long journies.

I would be very interested in an e-F-Type
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Tall dad wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:46 pm
Damn. I was just about to rant that every all-electric car I have seen looks like a family saloon. But this! Damn! 1.9 seconds, poor Bugatti Cheyron.
Looks good.

0-60mph - 1.9sec
0-100mph - 4.2
Over 250mph
620 miles range
4 seats (handy)
AWD
Michelin Tyres (for those P-Zero haters)
£189k

And very scary online ordering form. 1-click, enter credit card for £38k deposit and boom.....! your on the order books.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I just wonder where we will be in say 20-30 years time?
Will the EV "bubble" have burst and will things like Hydrogen fuel cells have taken a far more significant step up?
It's a very interesting debate and one which needs looking at far beyond the marketing speak to look at the overall impact on CO2 emissions from EV's in comparison to CO2 emissions generally.

I'm sure some of you will know about John Cadogan who is effectively the Australian "Honest John" but with swearing :D .
I'm not going to post direct links to his YooToob videos as he will probably offend someone, but if you are interested in seeing what he thinks of EV's in a much more detailed analysis of their potential impact beyond the simplistic "they reduce CO2 emissions" then have a look on YouTube.
Search for "John Cadogan Planet Savers".
If you drive and/or love Teslas then certainly don't look at his vid entitled "Tesla Cult".
:lol:
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

oh "cult" - my eyesight! :shock:
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Lunar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:37 am oh "cult" - my eyesight! :shock:
Yes, C U L T.
:lol:
Specsavers?
:mrgreen:
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Not convinced in the slightest. How can the country cope with the rate at which it wishes to make the switch over.
Put simply, can you really imagine the government and local councils digging up every road, every street in every town/village installing the charging infrastructure required.
Can you imagine walking past all the rows of terraced houses and semi detached houses in the UK with no driveways and all the leads and cables hanging out if windows over the pavements to reach the cars.
What is the solution?

I’ve been in a Tesla. Was quick but didn’t do anything for me, just like a GTR didn’t.

I’m a dinosaur and don’t fancy the move to electric as I love noise. Think i’ll Pencil in a love to a used R8 V10 in the future or something similar.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post