SVR vs alternatives

Anything F-Type related......
Gom Jabbar

Post by Gom Jabbar »

Just as a “sense check” before committing to an SVR purchase I quickly looked at other options for the same kind of money. Mercedes GT, Audi R8, Aston Martin Vantage. None have the same appeal for me as the Jag but I went and actually looked at a Vantage (the old style) and was really shocked by how outdated it was. In every respect except it’s sheer beauty and engineering heritage the Jag just seems to be far far better. I could only conclude that the main reason to buy the Aston was simply to say that you have an Aston in the garage - it’s low depreciation is even outweighed by crazy running costs so not much to gain there either. Did any of you look into any of these other options before getting your F-types?

Happy new year to all by the way... may 2019 bring you lots of driving fun!

Steve
2018 F-Type SVR in Caldera Red with a huge amount of toys yet to be explored!

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

If your looking for an SVR then you should consider a 911.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:07 pm If your looking for an SVR then you should consider a 911.
Yeah, choose between a gorgeous car and a jelly mould. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Gom Jabbar

Post by Gom Jabbar »

Looked at Porsche a few times in the past.... just not me at all. I know it’s a brilliant car but I just can’t see myself in one...Buying a 911 would be a purchase based on facts & tech spec... definitely no passion involved!
2018 F-Type SVR in Caldera Red with a huge amount of toys yet to be explored!
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi Steve,

AMV8 or even a DB9 are surely cars we all look at for their beauty and heritage, but I like many come to the same conclusion as you state, its a badge over old tech with extortionate running costs ... so an itch that for many will remain unscratched :)

911 is a no, simply too many unloved ones that enthusiasts end up pouring money into to give them the TLC they should have received, but as you say, an emotion less purchase in most cases.

The R8, the affordable baby Lambo ... it would be like buying a Cayman and everyone asking if you couldn’t afford the 911 ...

Now, the AMG GT ... I thought these were still around the £100k mark so when seeing your listing it as an option I had to take a peak and was pleasantly surprised to see they are in the £70-80k space of the SVR ... having loved my F-type the chance to return with an SVR would be very tempting. Asperationally I thought the only other car would be the AMG ... and seeing one like the link below I would definitely have to go take a closer look ...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 500&page=1

I guess it would then come down to personal preference, comfort, 4WD vs RWD and which awesome sound you prefer!!

Happy hunting and I truly hope you find the one for you ...

Happy New Year and motoring in 2019

Regards, Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

Tbf i cant afford any of them but they all have their merits
The aston is a pure heart only purchase
911 is a stunning car package but fairly common
R8 maybe a baby lambo but hell of a car
Amg gt stunning car bit down on power but a real looker and this is where jaguar fall down imho
Fit and finish of panels etc is pure german efficiency
The f type panel alignment is not very impressive
I dont think the svr looks different enough to warrant the price

If i had 80k to spend lol i would want something that stood out and for me thats the amg or lambo
Its hard to beat the germans for top end cars
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

scm wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:40 pm
Yeah, choose between a gorgeous car and a jelly mould. ;)
Jelly mould 🤣🤣

Other ones I can think of.....
RS7
Older SLK 55 AMG
Alfa Quadifogia 2.9 500bhp
Mazda MX-5
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Tel

Post by Tel »

From a driver and track standpoint and first hand experience;

Astons - Pretty shoddy build quality, especially in the dated cabin, do look and sound beautiful. Big old floaty boats.

911 - Precise, accurate projectile, that has no soul or character and as others have stated, everyone has one.

R8 - Flatters the driver, same interior as any other Audi, understeers like hell, fat-long arse. Sexy laser headlights are cool at a a premium.

Merc GT - Sounds good, handles well, best interior by far (like sitting in business class) - I'm yet to track one of these so can't go too much further.

Jag - Niggles, niggles, niggles and more niggles. Welcome to the British 'Sports car' club. Heavy, more of a GT, but ooozes charisma and character. AWD takes an already heavy car and makes it 'slumpy' - Drivers choice...V8R RWD ;-)

FWIW - I saw no improvement from the V8R RWD compared to the SVR, except that SVR has a VMAX mode and a spoiler thingy on the back.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

have to say as well i have a mint 2013 irr soft top and with the velocity tune its a preety nice car...plenty of oomph and looks superb
i could never justify another 40k for a svr
scm

Post by scm »

Gasman2 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 am Amg gt stunning car bit down on power but a real looker and this is where jaguar fall down imho
You really think the Germans can design a better looking car than the F-Type? :shock:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!