Winter frost problems

Anything F-Type related......
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Ok so it’s winter again and I expect a few frosty mornings which means it’s the start of a few problems with my F Type again as was repeated last year.

This morning the drivers door was frozen shut despite remotely starting the car for 10 minutes prior using the Jaguar app and after a lot of tugging at the drivers door it finally opened and as usual when I got in and shut the door the door lock had frozen in the open position so the door alarm wouldn’t stop and I couldn’t move the car and according to the outside temp it was only -3C not exactly Arctic conditions.

As much as I love the car it seems this happens every year, the door glass freezes to the door seal rubbers and the lock freezes, I’ve tried WD40 on the lock but it still freezes and I don’t want to use de-icer on the door seals or pour kettles of hot water over the car, has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution apart from a car cover please?

Thanks
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof

Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Garage ?
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Garage is full of other stuff so it has to stay on the drive
Arne

Post by Arne »

Treat all door/window seals with a silicon based gel.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148061 ... B004B8GTQG

In Norway you find several similar products in every gas-station. Works very well and protects the seal from damage also.

Regarding the door lock it need to be greased. All use of lubricant that desolves the grease will only make the problem worse over time.

Edit: to warm up the door lock, use a plastic bag with hot water and just hold (not pour!) the bag against the lock to warm it up.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Hi Arne,

Good idea I’m ordering the gel tonight thank you, also yes I think I’ll try a hot water bottle on the locks in the morning,

I’ve never had these problems with any other car before, just the F Type, not even my old XFR and X Type and XJ had frost issues

But thanks anyway I’ll give it a go
scm

Post by scm »

I've had this type of problem with all my previous Jags - 2001 XK8, 2004 XKR and 2010 XKR. Once in, I found that if you slam the door enough the lock will eventually release and hold the door shut. But it is a nuisance.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Mine was frozen and iced white over this morning.

Handle wouldn't even move and the wipers were welded to the windscreen so no chance of the windows dropping! I gave up without trying and had a coffee and worked from home instead! :)
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

THe most recommended solution for the seals is Gummi pfledge. Just run the bottles sponge around the seal. Used it in all cars for a decade and never an issue since. Don’t forget though you have 2 door seals in each door

The lock is more challenging and is moisture usually in bowden cables or intensls of the lock mechanism. Big problem in my former X5. Only solution is a strip down dry and lubricator parts. Can’t recall if the F has a Bowden cable but that where I’d put my money. Moisture in cable freezes. Easy to unlock but return mechanism can close it.
Temporary trick in the morning to release it was 5 minutes with a hairdryer or hot air gun (with care)
Warmth eventually gets the inside of the door a little warmer. No amount of external lubrications will do anything
Good luck
Alternative is do as I do and work in Spain during the week. Nice sunny day in Valencia today :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
TimG

Post by TimG »

It was -7°C for me this morning. Locks fine and even the glass didn't stick as it had been such a dry night, so it would appear that the locks are not a faulty design.
Yesterday not so cold but also not such a dry night, so initially the door glass was frozen up and the drivers door mirrors could not deploy until I helped break the ice. No problem with the locks though.
2015 V6S Convertible Stratus Grey
Heated Perf Seats 14 Way Adjust
Premium Leather
Black Pack
Black Centrifuge Wheels + Silver Propeller Winter Wheels
Meridian
Switchable Exhaust
High Perf Braking, Red Calipers
Adaptive Dynamics
Parking Sensors with Camera
scm

Post by scm »

TimG wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:20 am... the drivers door mirrors could not deploy until I helped break the ice.
That's one annoyance I have with the F-Type, on my previous XKRs you could disable the auto powerfold through the touchscreen to avoid the frozen scenario - no such option on the F-Type. :(
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post