400 Sport - Is It Just a Noisy V6?

Anything F-Type related......
gkeevash

Post by gkeevash »

Just a general observation and hopefully nothing to worry aboutπŸ€”

I've had the 400 for a little over a year and it's covered 5000 miles and I've noticed that on start-up and idle the engine is noisyish compared to the XKR and XK I had previously, now obviously I recognise these are V8's but I would still have thought that the V6 should be pretty quite at start-up/ idle. Even when at operating temperature its still not as quite as the V8's on idle

When I had Jaguar Assistance out recently I mentioned this and the technician advised that the V6 was a relatively noisy engine on start up and idle.πŸ‘‚

Anyone else noticed this :?:
Best Regards
Gazza
2018MY, F-Type 400 Sport Convertible RWD, Black
2010 XKR 5.0 Convertible
2006 XK 4.2
2001 Nissan Skyline R33 Twin Turbo
1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

So my 400 is 2yrs old in May. Done 10,500 miles.

I had the dealers P380 demonstrator for a week this time last year whilst they fixed/changed the antenna. I don't remember it being any quieter at idle or startup or when on the move. Or any slower.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Tel

Post by Tel »

gkeevash wrote: ↑Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:20 am Just a general observation and hopefully nothing to worry aboutπŸ€”

I've had the 400 for a little over a year and it's covered 5000 miles and I've noticed that on start-up and idle the engine is noisyish compared to the XKR and XK I had previously, now obviously I recognise these are V8's but I would still have thought that the V6 should be pretty quite at start-up/ idle. Even when at operating temperature its still not as quite as the V8's on idle

When I had Jaguar Assistance out recently I mentioned this and the technician advised that the V6 was a relatively noisy engine on start up and idle.πŸ‘‚

Anyone else noticed this :?:
Can you be a bit more specific about the noise?
What type of sound is it and where does it come from?

Reason I ask is there have been quite a few instances of the V6 lump going belly up, but if you catch it early enough you might be able to save it.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©
Fez

Post by Fez »

Hi I am not convinced there is any evidence to support the claim that a few v6 engines have gone belly up. Define a few as a percentage of the number v6 f type made and i would be very surprised if the answer is greater than 1%. I can live with those odds. This forum will by its nature reports negative issues with people seeking answers however in general the v6 or v8 are great cars.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
scm

Post by scm »

The active exhaust is designed to be, er, "impressive" at start up then, as the engine vacuum builds, the valves close and it quietens down. No such feature (IFIAK) on the XK/XKR which are designed long-distance cruisers. F-Types are designed to be noisy - they're Jaguar sports cars, after all. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The only "belly up" F-Type engines I've seen are lack of oil (user error) over filled oil (user error) or perhaps lack of service and maintenance causing consequencial damage (user error) or crashed (user error).

I've not seen any stats of V6 and V8 engine failures and reasons. The sequence number of F-TYPE's was 59,000 or something when I last looked so if presume 50/50 then there are 30,000+ v6's out there in F-Types alone and I've not seen any design or build issues related to failures so please enlighten me.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

simpleR wrote: ↑Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:48 am The only "belly up" F-Type engines I've seen are lack of oil (user error) over filled oil (user error) or perhaps lack of service and maintenance causing consequencial damage (user error) or crashed (user error).

I've not seen any stats of V6 and V8 engine failures and reasons. The sequence number of F-TYPE's was 59,000 or something when I last looked so if presume 50/50 then there are 30,000+ v6's out there in F-Types alone and I've not seen any design or build issues related to failures so please enlighten me.
Agree with your rationale here. Problem with forums in general is that you only hear about failures and they never take into consideration the % of total production or eliminate the user errors from failures to get down to the real likelihood of a major failure
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
gkeevash

Post by gkeevash »

OK, Many years ago I started my working life as a mechanic/technician and going way back when this is probably the noisiest V6 ive ever come across. Its on start-up and idle with the active exhaust off now the 6 hour dynamic setting has been removed by the dealer it always starts non dynamic mode.

The noise is a tapping/knocking sound which is more noticeable from the front of the engine.

I have recorded the sound but can't seem to upload the video/sound as the format is unsupported, any ideas?
Best Regards
Gazza
2010 XKR 5.0 Convertible
2006 XK 4.2
gkeevash

Post by gkeevash »

OK, so I hope this works, I have uploaded the clips of the engine noise to Youtube, I've never done that before! :lol:

Best Regards
Gazza
2010 XKR 5.0 Convertible
2006 XK 4.2
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

My 400 Sport MY18 is a bit ticky tap tap on cold start. Always has been.

It slowly disappears as the engine reaches normal operating temperature on the temp gauge after about 2 minutes. Slightly longer when it's cold and slightly less when it's a warm day. Only really noticeable if active exhaust is in quiet mode.

I guess from your text that your car has been to dealer recently because you state your car no longer remembers dynamic mode which was campaign H136. What was it in for?

If the tapping continues when warm or gets louder when rev'ed I would mention to dealer. Your in warranty. Let them check if concerned.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post