F Type ear Subframe corrosion

Anything F-Type related......
clivewinters

Post by clivewinters »

Hi to you all.
I have just joined the forum and am pleased to be a member.
I have a V6s that has 19000 miles, year 2015.
Bought it last year from a dealer (not from a Jag dealer).
A few issues but I absolutely love this car.
I just took it to my local mechanic who is A1...one of the best.
I have a small oil leak on the rear differential, so I asked him to drain and refill so that I can monitor the leak...got him to add an approved sealant added to the oil, we will see if this cures the leak.
On collecting my car today, he told me of excessive corrosion to the rear chassis, unfortunately he didn’t take any photos whilst it was on the ramp. So I googled and found your helpful forum where the problem is identified as poor quality steel used for the rear subframe and straps/braces etc.
I must say, as a degreed metallurgical engineer, I was amazed to learn of this issue on a Jag!
But I see this is indeed a proven issue on F types.
So I have 2 questions for you:
1. Any idea of the price to supply and fit new parts

2: And regarding the differential oil leak, another proven issue on the F type, cost to supply and fit a new differential seal

I had better start filling up my piggy bank.

Regards
Clive

scm

Post by scm »

It's not actually poor quality steel, it's poor quality anti-corrosion coating.

Part numbers, if you want 'em from "SSM74031 - X152 Under body brace corrosion" (no idea on prices):

T2R 3166 (remove) - Body Brace
T2R 40865 (replacement part)

T2R 18759 (remove) - K-Brace
T2R 40866 (replacement part)

V6/AJ200 variants:
T2P 1597 (remove) - Pt 4 Brace V6/AJ200
T2R 40657 (replacement part)

V8 variant:
T2R 3438 (remove) - Pt 4 V8
T2R 40658 (replacement part)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scm

Post by scm »

Oh, and welcome to the club! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

clivewinters wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:00 pm Hi to you all.
I have just joined the forum and am pleased to be a member.
I have a V6s that has 19000 miles, year 2015.
Bought it last year from a dealer (not from a Jag dealer).
A few issues but I absolutely love this car.
I just took it to my local mechanic who is A1...one of the best.
I have a small oil leak on the rear differential, so I asked him to drain and refill so that I can monitor the leak...got him to add an approved sealant added to the oil, we will see if this cures the leak.
On collecting my car today, he told me of excessive corrosion to the rear chassis, unfortunately he didn’t take any photos whilst it was on the ramp. So I googled and found your helpful forum where the problem is identified as poor quality steel used for the rear subframe and straps/braces etc.
I must say, as a degreed metallurgical engineer, I was amazed to learn of this issue on a Jag!
But I see this is indeed a proven issue on F types.
So I have 2 questions for you:
1. Any idea of the price to supply and fit new parts

2: And regarding the differential oil leak, another proven issue on the F type, cost to supply and fit a new differential seal

I had better start filling up my piggy bank.

Regards
Clive
Welcome to the forum!

I would be having a closer look at them first as it may be possible to just remove them and get them cleaned up, treated and painted/powder coated as others have done.

My local independent was happy to put mine on his lift so I could have a good look around underneath and check, without charge. Maybe you have a local friendly place that could do the same?

My car has the later ‘improved nickel plated’ parts and was already corroding when I got it, so the newer parts aren’t much better. I have treated mine and they now look as they should.

Could be much cheaper than replacement
clivewinters

Post by clivewinters »

Many thanks for your prompt reply, I’m grateful.
I will jack up the car and look for myself.
Can you tell me how you treated your subframe, I.e. Waxoil? Paint?
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I used a product from Bilt Hamber called Dynax UB. It comes as a large spray can of anti-corrosive wax which dries quickly to form a dark brown hard firm film. It can be applied over rusted or painted surfaces.
clivewinters

Post by clivewinters »

Thanks so much for your replies.
Very useful.
Overalls on tomorrow!
Clive
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

If your diff is leaking then think very carefully about putting any form of additive in to seal it. These diffs are so tempremental to type of oil and exact oil levels.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
clivewinters

Post by clivewinters »

Thank you. I used a Castrol gear oil as Jag recommendation and a sealant addition to the oil. I think about 7.5%. Metered exact quantity into the differential. It was not a big oil leak, drained about 700cc of old oil. Car has done 19000 miles. Apparently the sealant may work after a few hundred miles, time will tell. If it works I will post a message. I reckoned it was worth a try, fingers crossed....
356boy

Post by 356boy »

COUNTESS wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 pm Jaguar finally agreed to replace the subframe on my car, but because it was just over 5 years old and out of warranty they said I would have to stand 50% of the cost, I agreed I would pay but on "parts only". They accepted and the full subframe and braces were replaced by my local Jaguar Dealer. I went to Switzerland with a nice new subframe and braces fitted at the end of May.

Job done.

Anyone else with the same problem keep pushing.

Fabulous car for touring the Swiss Alps.
how much were they charging for the replacement parts

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post