Opinions on wind deflector

Anything F-Type related......
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

BobHarrington wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 pm Photos of my new glass wind deflector
I’m very pleased with the result, the glass is 4mm and toughened.
I was worried about reflections, but all OK, and rear vision excellent.
Do you think it functions better than the standard mesh one Bob ? As I said, I'm disappointed how poorly my standard one works.
MY 2018 red convertible 380 R dynamic, black pack, red seatbelts, heated flat bottomed steering wheel, rear camera and front park aids, 20’ wheels

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

BobHarrington wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 pm Photos of my new glass wind deflector
I’m very pleased with the result, the glass is 4mm and toughened.
I was worried about reflections, but all OK, and rear vision excellent.
What’s the turbulence like with the glass against what it was like with the fabric mesh one?

I see you’re around Southampton area, can you tell us who the company was who made the deflector for you?

TIA
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

Hi CHL,
As far as deflecting the wind away from you goes, I cannot detect any difference in performance from the standard mesh one.
But there is a massive improvement in rear visibility, and you do need a wind deflector of some sort, as they make a big difference to comfort when the hood is down.
My local glass shop made it and fitted it all for £30. It’s a great improvement, and the cheapest thing I ever done to the car by far!

Hi GusA,
New Milton Glass 01425 618384
Small family business, run by two brothers.
They took my plastic mesh screen as a patten, then phoned me a week later when the new glass one was ready, and then fitted it while I waited. They put a thin neat strip of silicon on the edges, to hold it firmly in place, as I don’t plan to keep removing and refitting it.
They made it in 4mm glass, which they then had toughened.
Hope this helps?
Deleted User 1715

BobHarrington wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 am Hi CHL,
As far as deflecting the wind away from you goes, I cannot detect any difference in performance from the standard mesh one.
But there is a massive improvement in rear visibility, and you do need a wind deflector of some sort, as they make a big difference to comfort when the hood is down.
My local glass shop made it and fitted it all for £30. It’s a great improvement, and the cheapest thing I ever done to the car by far!

Hi GusA,
New Milton Glass 01425 618384
Small family business, run by two brothers.
They took my plastic mesh screen as a patten, then phoned me a week later when the new glass one was ready, and then fitted it while I waited. They put a thin neat strip of silicon on the edges, to hold it firmly in place, as I don’t plan to keep removing and refitting it.
They made it in 4mm glass, which they then had toughened.
Hope this helps?
That’s good info thanks. I pick my convertible up in March and rear visibility with the mesh screen is a worry to me. I’m not too far away so may ask them to do the same for me!
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Thanks for the info Bob. I like the look and may explore the option.

And Gus, I've never felt that the wind deflector caused visibility issues, I just dont think it works that well. I was driving an mx5 before my f type and it was less breezy 🤙
MY 2018 red convertible 380 R dynamic, black pack, red seatbelts, heated flat bottomed steering wheel, rear camera and front park aids, 20’ wheels
scm

Post by scm »

Cool Hand Luke wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 am...I was driving an mx5 before my f type and it was less breezy 🤙
It probably wasn't going as fast! :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Never noticed much difference either - it just spoilt the lines and rearward vision.

My deflector's been in the garage since a couple of weeks after I got my car - once I'd worked out the clips of course :)
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Deleted User 1715

I guess I’ll have to see how it goes when I get it. Nice to know there’s a cheap option though, thanks again
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Who looks in the rear view mirror anyway? :D

I've got the mesh one and it does make a difference to the cabin.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
scm

Post by scm »

daytona650 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:30 pm Who looks in the rear view mirror anyway?
I love seeing the cars in it getting smaller! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post