Dealership suggesting brake fluid & climate control changed?

Anything F-Type related......
Jagstarr

Post by Jagstarr »

Hi all,

Just booked my 2016 in for MOT at local dealership. They've just messaged saying that have noticed that brake fluid & climate control should be changed every 2-3 years so would I like them done at same time? Cars done 8k in total, would you agree they need doing or is there little point at this stage?

I bought it from dealership last April on Used/Approved where it had all their checks done and a New/Used Preparation For Sale service, (when it had done 6500 miles) would you suggest it's due a service yet too, says online one due in a months time. If so then would the brake fluid & climate control be done in a service anyway?

Sorry I'm a bit naive on these things as only had old cars in the past, this is the first prestigious car I've had so wantto keep it tip-top but not go overboard if things don't truly need doing yet?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

scm

Post by scm »

Brake fluid is hydroscopic so has to be changed based on time, not miles, not sure about climate stuff. Yes, it'd be a chargeable item at a service, so it's your choice as to whether you pay for it at MOT time or at service time. I always try to coincide my annual service with the MOT so get everything done in one hit - if it fails the MOT they haven't done the service properly!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Brake fluid is every 3yrs and part of the service schedule. So yes to that.

Climate I have not heard before. Might be like the recommended oil flush farce.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

You can buy a brake fluid tester pen for around £5. Dipping this into the reservoir will indicate whether there is any water in the fluid. If there isn’t it doesn’t need changing. This was demonstrated to me by a tech when he checked my Lotus Elise fluid.
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm Climate I have not heard before. Might be like the recommended oil flush farce.
Probably just an aircon recharge? If you can still freeze your nuts off on "LO" it's fine (well, not for you, but the aircon is)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jagstarr

Post by Jagstarr »

Many thanks for the reply guys. For now I'll probably get myself a Brake fluid tester pen but still get it changed when service comes up in a month or so and also see if I can blast my bits off with some cold air-con!!

Great help with the responses though so thanks again...
chicb

Post by chicb »

When my car was in for a service last year, the brake fluid was due to have been done but the dealer said they would test it first to see if it was ok due to me only doing 300 miles since the previous service. I left it up to them & when I picked it up they said the fluid was fine so did not change it.
Think the climate is just a money making exercise. As stated above, if its cold, its ok
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
Yousif

Post by Yousif »

Also had 2016 coupe in for a 3yr service last week. They called to say brake fluid change was due and charged me £75 on top of the service plan I have. Nothing about climate although this had been recharged a couple of years ago under warranty as seals were faulty
F Type 3.0V6 auto, Caldera Red, 20" Turbines, parking, visibility packs, heated steering, seats, keyless entry, folding mirrors, red seat belts.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

There was an "offer" going around last year at service time for an air con "service" for £100 with a few members on the XE forums.
In one case, a member was told it would invalidate his warranty unless he had it done.
That's effectively fraud as it's totally untrue.

The system in the F-Type has the same info in the user manual as the XE.
It shouldn't lose more than 3% of gas per year.
As has already been said, if it's working fine then leave it alone as this is just another "oil flush" type con.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post