F-Type V6 Sound 2019

Anything F-Type related......
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

The only thing I'm kind of disappointed of is the quieter start up and the muted idle, you really hear nothing when you stand still, even the button doesn't make a real difference. Was the V6 always much quieter on start up and idle than the V8 or are the EU regulations at fault again?

Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

The V8 has always had a louder start than the V6 (having owned both, and the V6 twice!). V6 is probably 60-70% of the volume of the V8 at a guess? Although, that being said, I'm not sure I could say the same with the new F Types. Was walking past one of the directors V8R's the other day (work for JLR), and he started it up and it was noticeably quieter than my V8S, disappointingly so in fact..
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

Unfortunately it was was some time ago that I heard a pre facelift F-Type but I'm also pretty sure that it's much quieter than before on start up, it's not even head-turning anymore. The two videos I posted before are unfortunately real, the red MY20 shows in fact a cold start as mine sounds pretty much the same.

I'll try to make a video with a start up, some revs and accelerations soon. :)
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

Here is a small video with a warm start and some revs. In my opinion even with this clip made with my mobile cam it's easy to notice the damping effect of the OPF:

Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

falkenhayn wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 am Unfortunately it was was some time ago that I heard a pre facelift F-Type but I'm also pretty sure that it's much quieter than before on start up, it's not even head-turning anymore. The two videos I posted before are unfortunately real, the red MY20 shows in fact a cold start as mine sounds pretty much the same.

I’ve had a pre-facelift V6S, and a facelift V6 coupé and noticed no difference in volume between the two at all. Yours sounds very similar to the sound both of mine made 😊
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
Deleted User 1254

Post by Deleted User 1254 »

My V8 R MY20 sounds awesome, it definatly isn't castrated!!
AyceeDeeCee

Post by AyceeDeeCee »

If the V8 is anything like the RR SVR 2018 onwards which uses the newer MED17.8.32 ECU which includes the particle filter it’s a massive let down.

So much so I brought a 63 plate V8S for that awesome sound.

Only way to get it truly back is PPF removal which is a good warranty voided. I have a 2019 RRS SVR and whilst more powerful and better drive, sounds crap compared to the previous model.

Unsure on V6 though sorry!
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

Chrissyg wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:20 pm
falkenhayn wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 am Unfortunately it was was some time ago that I heard a pre facelift F-Type but I'm also pretty sure that it's much quieter than before on start up, it's not even head-turning anymore. The two videos I posted before are unfortunately real, the red MY20 shows in fact a cold start as mine sounds pretty much the same.

I’ve had a pre-facelift V6S, and a facelift V6 coupé and noticed no difference in volume between the two at all. Yours sounds very similar to the sound both of mine made 😊
You are right too be honest, after seeing some other videos it sounds the same as the F-Type 400, only the old ones from 2014 sound just a bit different. Maybe I overestimated the start up volume on the V6 as although it's pretty nice and noticeable it's not as "neighbour-waking loud" as the V8. :mrgreen:
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Falkenhayn, I remember you being concerned about the noise since before your car was even built. You seem to have a real paranoia about it. The video you put up sounds amazing. Enjoy the car! People are telling you that they can’t tell much, if any difference between the models. Even owners who have had pre and post facelift cars. I think you hearing/worrying it’s different is the placebo effect in full force.

Also in the coupe, you can’t hear half as much because if the sound proofing. So who do you want to please? Passers by? Neighbours? Just yourself?

I know where you’re coming from with the paranoia - I am also paranoid that I’ve wasted my money getting the P340 because the V8 is so much better according to everyone else. It’s hard not to compare things. I guess the best thing to do is just enjoy the car and stop worrying...
MY20 F-Type P340
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

You are absolutely right blueone, I also remember you from before, hope you are still enjoying your cat.

I'm really happy with my F-Type and still can't avoid keeping a smile when driving it, only the thing with the sound kind of bugged me but as you said it's probably placebo. You really have to stop comparing, this is never good as even when you would get a V8 you still wonder why it isn't a Lambo. ;) It's best to appreciate what you have and just enjoy it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post