Car Remapping and Driver Skill

Anything F-Type related......
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I'm posting this separately following a comment by myself and chicb regarding car remapping, which was in the Classified section.
The point made was why remap an already fast car to which chicb commented on driver skill not being able to handle the "out of factory" variant of these and similar cars and having experienced this first hand, I'd like to share that experience.

A few weeks ago, I had the "privilege" of attending an experience day at Jaguar's Experience Center here in Johannesburg as as you'd expect, the skidpan formed part of the event. The cars we drove was the XE, XE Sport, XF and F Type V6. Traction control was switched off and we were encouraged to get the car to oversteer. All 4 car's oversteered and while I intuitively tried to correct and lift off the brake, I was never able to master the control in that short time. This taught me how difficult it is to actually control these cars, hence why would one need "more power" when what's supplied ex factory can't be controlled anyway.

another expereince I had, this with my F Type (which is not AWD), is one day when pulling away and making a right turn at a traffic light and in trying to beat the oncoming traffic, I "floored it slightly" which started the rear wheel's to spin, which I was not expecting and caused an instinctive lifting off the accelerator, to which I thought "whatever power this car has, it's more than sufficient".

20190315_104146.jpg

20190315_103837.jpg

20190315_103128.jpg

20190315_103036.jpg

F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

basher

Post by basher »

I agree. My 400 AWD is plenty fast enough for UK roads.

I have also lost the back end on a couple of occasions while making a right turn. I feather the throttle better now than when I first got the car.

I read somewhere that in dynamic mode the AWD is 90% rear wheel biassed. It won't save you if you drive irresponsibly.

I went for a "spirited" drive a couple if weeks ago on some twisty roads. Suffice to say that the "fun/fear" factor in sports mode with paddle shifting was more than enough for me!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'd also like to go on an experience day... I've never had the opportunity to properly thrash a car.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. ๐Ÿ˜
scm

Post by scm »

santoshlv426 wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:36 am another expereince I had, this with my F Type (which is not AWD), is one day when pulling away and making a right turn at a traffic light and in trying to beat the oncoming traffic, I "floored it slightly" which started the rear wheel's to spin, which I was not expecting and caused an instinctive lifting off the accelerator, to which I thought "whatever power this car has, it's more than sufficient".
I had a similar experience in my previous 2010 XKR, the back end could be induced to let go very easily. In my AWD F-Type in the same situation the car stays planted nicely, so I wouldn't disable the driver assists in the open road.

As to why one would want more power, there's never "enough" for some people. My car is far more capable than I am, so I'm happy to leave it stock and enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the write-up!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Only a Pleasure to share
Like I said, I was lucky to get the invite and it was for the launch of the I Pace, which thrashed an F Type V8 AWD in a drag Race.
Few more pic's of the centre. Too bad I cannot upload a video as I would have uploaded the Drag Race between the F Type and I Pace !

20190315_141528.jpg

20190315_130740.jpg

20190315_124203.jpg

20190315_114724.jpg

20190315_114702.jpg

F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

Interesting you got pictures - when I attended the "F-Type Beyond Limits" event at Millbrook way back in 2014 (was it really 5 years ago?) there was a strict no cameras rule, even to the extent of fixing stickers over mobile phone lenses. But hell, who wanted to photograph them when you could drive them! :D

BTW, did the I-Pace thrash the F-Type all the way to 168 mph? ;)
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Hi SCM, now, it was a couple of 100m drag. Everyone knew the I pace would win - the F Type simply could not match it's take off torque. In an all out though - top speed - the F Type would have won
Can't understand why they wouldn't let you take pictures. Part of the memory bank
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

I've been dipping into the I-Pace forum next door and have to say I'm going to stick with my F-Type. I like that it feeds trees, and I can fully "recharge" it in under 10 minutes - no way an EV can match that! And they're having horrors with the Microsoft software it uses, Ugh!
Tel

Post by Tel »

I strongly disagree santoshlv426;

Some drivers are able to 'handle' the stock power. Some are also used to handling far in excess of the OEM setup.

Some drivers feel the need for more torque , acceleration and are fun junkies like myself.

Personally, I found the V6S way, way underpowered for my style of road driving (hence getting the 8), and now that I'm learning (and never stop learning) about handling and pushing/exploring the limits, I feel completely comfortable and confident with more torque and horses.

You may want to run a couple of track days with a qualified race driver as an instructor - best top tip, and if your rear end continues to hang out...get shot of the crappy P0's and get some PS4S's fitted pronto.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more ๐Ÿ’ฉ
TimG

Post by TimG »

I strongly agree with santoshlv426 as an Advanced Driver and an Advance Motorcyclist.

Tel, if the V6S is way under powered for your style of road driving, perhaps you should reconsider that style of road driving where there are many unaware drivers and pedestrians about. We shouldn't be putting others at risk for our fun, keep it on the race track or Autobahn.
2015 V6S Convertible Stratus Grey
Heated Perf Seats 14 Way Adjust
Premium Leather
Black Pack
Black Centrifuge Wheels + Silver Propeller Winter Wheels
Meridian
Switchable Exhaust
High Perf Braking, Red Calipers
Adaptive Dynamics
Parking Sensors with Camera
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Well I should not even comment but what the hell. One of my last cars was a Nissan Skyline Gtr33 vspec which some kind Japanese gentleman had modified before being shipped to the UK. It was running just under 700 BHP. While in my ownership I often pondered with further mods & power. But refrained. Already looking at best engine upgrade for my new to me V8R awd. But from the previous post I probably won't wait till I am in a busy area with kids & crossing etc. It's not about that. How many drivers of F-Type jags do you know for instance that don't rev the engine to make it pop & crack. Quick set offs & a bit of fun. That's all. We know there are speed camera's everywhere. If people didn't yearn more power then why aren't all F-Types 2.0. I also have ridden motorcycles since the age of 9 & still do. 1200s Multistrada with full race Termigoni exhaust & race ECU chip. Was going to write more but got to go & look at my toys. Sorry.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post