Paint Problems

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

If you have a friendly car detailer he'll probably have a paint thickness gauge so you can see if there's anything untoward.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

It looks very much like it has had a replacement bumper. Not unusual but it may not have been etch primed properly.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Drop into any body shop and ask for a quote and they will tell you what’s happened and likely be able to run a paint gauge on it to tell you if it’s resprayed or oem.
You’ll be clear then what you are asking the dealer for and will take no waffle from them
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
wulliem12

Post by wulliem12 »

Thanks for all the help and advice folks, really appreciate it.
Will let you know the outcome.
Present: F-Type 380 AWD S Convertible.
Past: Nissan 370Z. Honda S2000 (X2).
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

scm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:07 pm If you have a friendly car detailer he'll probably have a paint thickness gauge so you can see if there's anything untoward.
Unless he has a paint depth gauge which costs thousands of pounds because the standard paint depth gauges we use only measure paint thickness from metal surfaces and not plastic. These cost £150 - £200 for a half decent one.

Going back to the comment about Jaguar paint being thin, as Tel said, Jaguar factory paint is not really thin. It is thicker than most. However, the paint is soft and marks very easily.
wulliem12

Post by wulliem12 »

Cheers for that Dazarooni.
UPDATE:
I spoke to my local dealership (Glasgow, who are really good, no complaints with them) where I registered the car for servicing etc. (I purchased it from a Jaguar dealership in Doncaster).
I was expecting to get it fixed under the warranty, but after tests etc. they said they couldn’t help but I could contact Jaguar headquarters for further assistance. They were really positive to start with and I thought this is good. Fast forward a few months and a several emails later and they came to the conclusion that it was not a manufacturing fault, so they wouldn’t be fixing it under the warranty. No matter how many times I told them that I wasn’t arguing that it wasn’t a manufacturing fault, that I bought the car off a Jaguar Dealership in good faith, they couldn’t help me. The person who sold the car onto the Dealership could have covered a chip with a bad spray job or the Dealership covered it up. Anyway, I’m left with the cost of the repair. Shocking!
Adding to this, one of my Alloy wheels started to tarnish pretty badly a while back. Still within the Jaguar 2 year second hand warranty. And you’ve guessed it, it wouldn’t be fixed under this warranty, however, it would have been covered under the new car 3 year warranty (which had at that point just expired). Surprise Surprise!!
That Alloy was basically 3 and a half years old (when it started to get bad) and it is in a shocking state. Really poor quality.

Very disappointed with Jaguar and their warranties, so much so it has put me off purchasing any more Jaguar Vehicles. I was going to buy an F-Pace and few years down the line another F-Type, not now. I bought an Audi Q3 Fastback and in a few years I will be looking for another brand of sports car.

I am so frustrated because I love the car, the looks, sound and driving experience, it’s just left a rather bitter taste, shame.
Present: F-Type 380 AWD S Convertible.
Past: Nissan 370Z. Honda S2000 (X2).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post