Tune on e85 with 20 psi. Is it possible with factory fuel system

Anything F-Type related......
Lord Glave

Post by Lord Glave »

Hi guys, new to the f type world and I'm purchasing a beautiful red R model and the 1st thing I wanna do to it is upgrade both the crank pulley and blower pulley pushing boost to about 20 psi. I know this is a direct injection motor and I've searched and searched and cannot find any injector, or pump upgrades at all, nor can I find anything discussing the capabilities of the fuel system and if full on e85 at that level is possible. One of my other cars is also direct injection, and I installed 18% larger injectors, a larger cam driven pump, and even a cam with a bigger fuel lobe in order to keep up with fuel demands at 35psi. Still wasnt enough. Ending up welding 4 bungs directly in front of the intake ports on the head and spraying a large amount of pure methanol to keep up. From what I've read on these forums, guys pushing 650hp arent even close to maxing out the injector duty cycle, but no details were given, this gives me hope that it may be possible on the stock system. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

scm

Post by scm »

My MY18 manual says "Do not use E85 fuels with 85% ethanol content as serious engine and fuel system damage will occur. Do not use fuels containing more than 10% ethanol."
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lord Glave

Post by Lord Glave »

I was under the impression some of these cars were installed with flex fuel sensors and could run e85 from the factory
Lord Glave

Post by Lord Glave »

If they don't have flex fuel sensors then that would be the reasoning for that warning, trying to run e85 without a tune for it would royally mess stuff up lol.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Welcome to the forum.
It would help if you put which country you are in on your profile.
It helps a great deal when people are trying to give advice due to different specs from country to country.
Thanks.
Lord Glave

Post by Lord Glave »

Oh my bad, I'll do that. I'm U.S. by the way.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

David Appleby engineering in UK have quoted me at 620bhp using just the top pulley & ramp to ECU. There is a 700bhp one on YouTube done by Arden.that has complete exhaust & cat change. It also has had the pistons changed for some fancy forged ones. Running the kind of power you are chasing & that kind of boost I'm sure you'll need lower compression pistons. + the ECU changing to give correct retard & fuelling. All the best with it & keep us posted on any results .
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Nick

Post by Nick »

steviegtr wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:10 pm David Appleby engineering in UK have quoted me at 620bhp using just the top pulley & ramp to ECU. There is a 700bhp one on YouTube done by Arden.that has complete exhaust & cat change. It also has had the pistons changed for some fancy forged ones. Running the kind of power you are chasing & that kind of boost I'm sure you'll need lower compression pistons. + the ECU changing to give correct retard & fuelling. All the best with it & keep us posted on any results .
Hardware is one thing, believe tvs1900 is stock so tvs2300 maybe smaller pulley, charge cooling system? water injection, spend some serious money. Before stripping and changing the pistons I would really want to know what stock one are rated at.

For this kinds of power you are chasing you really need an ecu that can be fully reprogrammed to get the best performance not just the chuck more fuel down the larger Injectors route, even a semi cracked ecu will never give you the controllability of a stand alone unit. That’s serious money.

I don’t know if the ecu is open but I doubt it, so has someone cracked it? You can get through some serious money trying to outsmart these things I know I spent a load on a previous car project.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

As above . Done some silly tuning in the past. My gtr33 had a fully programmable ECU on the dash. Handheld device by Apexi. It had a 36x36 segment map that you could interrogate every segment & adjust. Injector flow . Injector pulse time. Ign advance. It was a nightmare at Mot time. I had to buy time on his exhaust analyser to adjust as low an emission reading as I could. Was still sky high with 1000cc injectors it was never going to be easy. As before best of luck & regular updates. All i know is the block is strong so maybe can handle some silly power.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Lord Glave

Post by Lord Glave »

Hi again guys, I managed to get my answer from a group of professional tuners. The stock pump is to weak to run full E85. I could mix half and half and would probably be ok, but that is such a hassle. The easiest solution which I also have on 3 of my other cars is meth injection. And yes to the person asking about tuning, the car is fully tunable, I personally use hptuners, and it requires 8 credits to unlock compared to the normal 2. Pricey car to tune, and you have to have the updated mpiv2 software cable which is an additional $180, so up to $780 just for the ability to start tuning the car lol. I also think many people don't know the difference between a real tune and a predetermined or "canned tune" as I refer to them. Anything you buy from a store or shop and just plug in to reflash your pcm is a predetermined tune and can actually be very risky as you have no idea what your afr's, iat's etc are running at. Everything I tune is data logged at wot pulls numerous times until we get the perfect tune and then it can be tossed on a dino to tweak it to even better perfection but that's usually pricey for just a possible few more ponies if you're lucky. Most just do it for a number print out and bragging rights. Anyways, with all that being said, I wanted to avoid meth injection because it gets old filling tanks all the time buuuut it would greatly help with iat's, possible heatsoak, and needed octane. So does anyone now the capacity of the washer fluid tank? If possible I'll just convert it and hide the pump in the bumper somewhere.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post