Stop Start

Anything F-Type related......
01286p

Post by 01286p »

Now that we are being continually bombarded with Global Warming Issues,especially in built up areas, having the engine running whilst stationary is obviously a no no.
So I wonder if any one has found a way that when sitting at the lights etc., say having used the foot brake to stop the car , the auto engine stop automatically kicks in, BUT if I keep my foot on the brake and at the same time apply the electric hand brake and then release the foot brake the engine re starts .
It would be helpful if the control program could be re jigged such that the engine stays off until the accelerator is pressed,which automatically releases the electric brake anyway.
Personally I dislike sitting behind a car ,especially at night, with it's rear brake lights all lit up,so try to not have mine on if possible.

V6S
Italian Red
Pano Roof
Black Trim and Wheels.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Normally I don't use stop start and if I am stationary I usually just put it in neutral and keep foot on brake. Typically at traffic lights when your waiting for 30 seconds or less or crawling in traffic I don't want it constantly stop starting.

If and when I use stop start, like in a traffic jam and you can see it not moving for ages I will enable stop start and just pop it in park. When ready pop it back into drive and it comes alive again. As your wedged in traffic being a little slow edging forwards is not an issue.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

01286p wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:07 pm Personally I dislike sitting behind a car, especially at night, with its rear brake lights all lit up,so try to not have mine on if possible.
Ah, a kindred spirit! I wish more people felt that way, and behaved accordingly. ;)
I always disable stop/start before engaging D.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
chicb

Post by chicb »

If you don't want stop/start engaging in slow moving traffic, just keep your foot on the brake lightly. If you increase the brake pressure, stop/start kicks in
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
BRGFR

Post by BRGFR »

I hate this feature, at least there is a button to disable it. So annoying and goofy sounding when it kicks on.
2019 F type R coupe . Awd. Carpathian grey.
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I also don't like stop/start, the fuel saving is minimal if any and really this whole global warming think is based on emissions from engines from the 70's and 80's.
Todays engines are infinitely cleaner and in my opinion, doesn't contribute to global warming.
Regarding the handbrake, these stop starts are made to not change the way we drive. I realized this when I drove an Audi S4 that has stop / Start. I was at a light - stationery and the car switched off. Then I tried to turn the steering wheel (foot on the brake) and the car started up ! Quite intelligent as it perceived my action as wanting to "change lanes and move". Also it ensured I still have full control by powering on the power steering. I'm not sure if the Jaguar does this - never tried. If someone does use stop/start and tries this, please share the result.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

JFA

Post by JFA »

Mine starts up with a small tweak on the steering wheel - which is useful. Although not a massive fan of stop/start and feel that with a 5 litre V8r, it is a bit of a meaningless nod to the environment. I have found a great way to stop it working without changing any settings - wait for 2 years of driving so the battery gets a bit old, add a dash cam and mine never comes on at all now :lol:
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!
scm

Post by scm »

JFA wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:22 amI have found a great way to stop it working without changing any settings - wait for 2 years of driving so the battery gets a bit old, add a dash cam and mine never comes on at all now :lol:
Do you have the secondary battery, or just the one?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
davidd

Post by davidd »

I turn mine off as soon as I start the car. If I'm stuck in traffic then I'll turn the engine off myself, I tend not to do a lot of stop start stuff any way.

There is a way to permanently disable it

viewtopic.php?t=613
JFA

Post by JFA »

scm wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:58 am
JFA wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:22 amI have found a great way to stop it working without changing any settings - wait for 2 years of driving so the battery gets a bit old, add a dash cam and mine never comes on at all now :lol:
Do you have the secondary battery, or just the one?
Do you know what, I have no idea. I assumed it only has the one battery - how do I find out?
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post