How long does this last?

Anything F-Type related......
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Was driving my F-Type home tonight. It’s such an involving drive. I love it. But as it’s only done 100 miles and I was wondering how long the car will feel this tight and focussed? Assuming you stick to the service schedule at a Jag dealer (which I obviously will be), does the car ever start to feel flabby? I couldn’t believe how well it holds the road and how easy the power is. I’m running it in carefully too so haven’t been above 4k yet!! I just hope it doesn’t lose any of that new car tightness...
MY20 F-Type P340

santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I don't think it quite works that way.
Mechanical objects actually get better with age, unlike living objects
My other love is Hi Fi and learned this - an 8 year old Hi Fi, sounds infinitely better than than when brand new. The same can be said for cars. And with modern cars, they're built using technology unlike cars of the past, which in fact deteriorate rapidly after 7-10 years.
All cars today, and sports cars should be no different, can go well over 200,000km's and the chances of an F Type even getting close to that mileage is somewhere between never and 0.
Your car would probably outlast you.

In terms of running in, keep in mind that these cars are tested before leaving the factory so even if you are buying a brand new F Type, you can be assured it's been HAMMERED during this testing process. My local Jaguar dealership told me this.

Engine technology has also advanced to a point where that "bedding in" process requiring gentle driving for the first 10-20000km's is no longer required.

Of course the manufacturer will never actually state this.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Blueone

Post by Blueone »

santoshlv426 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 am I don't think it quite works that way.
Mechanical objects actually get better with age, unlike living objects
My other love is Hi Fi and learned this - an 8 year old Hi Fi, sounds infinitely better than than when brand new. The same can be said for cars. And with modern cars, they're built using technology unlike cars of the past, which in fact deteriorate rapidly after 7-10 years.
All cars today, and sports cars should be no different, can go well over 200,000km's and the chances of an F Type even getting close to that mileage is somewhere between never and 0.
Your car would probably outlast you.

In terms of running in, keep in mind that these cars are tested before leaving the factory so even if you are buying a brand new F Type, you can be assured it's been HAMMERED during this testing process. My local Jaguar dealership told me this.

Engine technology has also advanced to a point where that "bedding in" process requiring gentle driving for the first 10-20000km's is no longer required.

Of course the manufacturer will never actually state this.
This is a really interesting post, thank you. The newest car I’ve had before this was from 2006 so I guess things have moved on even more in the last 13 years.

For a new car, I can’t believe how responsive it is. I guess I just wonder as the tyres wear and the brakes fade whether it will lose its edge.

The dealer said the same as you’ve said in that you don’t really need to run them in anymore. The manual states differently however by saying to not go above certain rev ranges for the first 1,800 miles but I guess it’s just Jaguar covering their backs?
Last edited by Blueone on Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY20 F-Type P340
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Views on running in seem to be quite polarised.
The manual is pretty clear that you should run the vehicle in and the other school of thought is you should drive the doorhandles off the thing.
As far as I'm aware the F-Type goes onto a rolling road for testing when built.
I haven't heard of test drivers blasting them atround a track.
Quite frankly keeping it below 4000 rpm to start with isn't really going to cramp most people's styles.
:D

Screenshot_2019-05-31 Jaguar Owner Information.png

Blueone

Post by Blueone »

PhilB wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 am Views on running in seem to be quite polarised.
The manual is pretty clear that you should run the vehicle in and the other school of thought is you should drive the doorhandles off the thing.
As far as I'm aware the F-Type goes onto a rolling road for testing when built.
I haven't heard of test drivers blasting them atround a track.
Quite frankly keeping it below 4000 rpm to start with isn't really going to cramp most people's styles.
:D
Screenshot_2019-05-31 Jaguar Owner Information.png
Yes, I’m discovering it still has plenty of pull up to 4,000 rpm :lol:
MY20 F-Type P340
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Simply drive it normally. I purchased my car 2nd hand and have no idea how the previous owner drove it for the first 4000km, so it's a non issue. When I attended the Jaguar experience day, we were given an F Type (V6), XF, Xe to use on the skidpan and at all times, we were told by the Jaguar instructors to "floor it" in order to get the car to slide. This is when I asked the guys "how can this be done to new cars ?" The rev's were well in excess of 4000 rpm and these were new cars.
Similarly, when we undertook an obstacle course which involved driving Land Rover and Range Rovers thru 1m deep water, these were NEW cars. Obviously they were not abused but driven the manner for which they were designed.

Just drive your car for what it was designed for and you'll be fine.

You mention brakes. Consider the fact that the performance is related to the brake pads and the brake pad effectiveness does not degrade as the brake pad wears away - it's either 100% effective or nothing and by the time it's hitting Zero effectiveness you'll know it as brake pads have a metal spring that touches the disc and makes an irritating noise to tell you that you only have a few hundred km's on the pad remaining. Remember though that brakes and tires are consumable's and can't be compared to the engine, gearbox, drive-train, chassis which are built for the life of the car.

during my driving career, I only ever drove one care from brand new which was a 2004 Audi A3 2.0 FSI. There was no difference in performance from the first day to when I gave it back at 80000km's.

That's on the performance side. The body is a different issue. All cars will invariably develop rattles and creaks as the years pass by.

We all have valid points though.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

Apart from the car, your grin won't be so painful after a while, not because you aren't still grinning, but because your grin muscles will become "trained". ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Sorry officer - Jaguar made me do it :lol:

Capture.JPG

MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Congrats on the recent purchase, great looking F-Type and be sure to ‘wash’ the car carefully as I understand this is a soft colour so could easily attract swirls ...

ref the running in, revs are less harmful than labouring an engine, i.e. leaving in higher gear and letting the revs drop too low for the conditions ... more relevant for a manual that auto. The real key to running in is to be smooth with everything (as you should be anyway) ... don’t stamp on the accelerator/brakes but simply ease the pedals. As above, 4K rpm will give you 80+% of the cars performance and by the time you hit 3rd you’re be above the Queens recommended maximum momentum anyway

If you’ve put the brakes through their heat cycle a couple of times then you’ll be getting best of them too ... this is where I would focus my ‘running in’ attention

Happy motoring, rgds Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I’m being nice and smooth with the throttle and haven’t been above 4,500rpm as the manual says. Brakes are being eased in too so hoping it sets the car up well for the future. I’ve probably only used 40% throttle on one occasion and the rest of the time I’m using a lot less than that. But it still goes some. Interesting to hear that 80% of the power is above 4,000rpm, I don’t understand how it can pull any harder! That means I have a whole new car waiting for me in 1,000 miles...
MY20 F-Type P340

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post