Coolant top up - more than expected, potential issue?

Anything F-Type related......
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Hi All,

Had a low coolant warning light pop up this afternoon, first time I’ve seen the light

Drove home nice and easy (6 miles), avoided heavy throttle etc

Let the car cool down, popped the bonnet and checked the level - well below the ‘min’ mark and really surprised the light hadn’t come on before

Car was last serviced January 18th, it’s done 4,000 miles since, I put in just under 1.5L.....
Potentially something wrong or am I just being paranoid? Wouldn’t have expected to put anywhere near that much in

I’ll keep my eye on it over the next few days and check more thoroughly going forwards - every week with my tyre pressures sounds about right

Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

You’re right to suspect a leak, mine has never come on (touch wood), 1.5 litres seems a fair bit to top up so yes keep an eye on it and suggest when you get to work or back home when it’s pressurised, you check around and underneath for wet spots, being careful when the engine is hot.

Let us know how you get on,

Kind regards,

Steve
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
scm

Post by scm »

Someone on the forum had a leak which I believe turned out to be a problem with the expansion tank. Initially thought to be a cap issue, but changing that didn't fix it.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

From empty I think the V6 takes 9.5 litres to fill. (60% water and 40% coolant)

So you've lost 15% ish. If a leak I would logically presume:

- Expansion tank or cap.
- A loose hose or broken clip, chaffed hose or clip loose on a pipe.
- Water pump
- Damaged radiator

However it could be something mechanical like a thermostat failed and it's boiling it off if you had too much water in it. I used to know someone who had the low screenwash warning on the dash and put screenwash in the coolant reservoir!! LOL. The car literally steamed as it boiled it off.

I would personally keep a close eye on it and if drops again and you can't locate any residue or fluid then get it booked in somewhere for a pressure test.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Thanks for the quick replies, had another look around and can’t spot any obvious leaks / drips.

Will check it regularly over the next few days and report back [emoji106]
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Noticed blowing white smoke during normal driving through exhaust or a sweetish type smell from car?
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Elementad wrote:Noticed blowing white smoke during normal driving through exhaust or a sweetish type smell from car?
Definitely no smell
As for white smoke I don’t think so but haven’t been looking for it- what would this indicate?
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

I have read (probably on this forum) that there was a problem with a plastic pipe assembly (that the coolant hoses fit onto) bolted to the engine, under the super charger, that cracks. They were being fixed under warranty.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

any water in your oil?
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

I would also suggest before you go too far, tighten expansion tank cap until it clicks 3 times,you wouldnt think it makes a difference but it did on mine!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post