Coolant top up - more than expected, potential issue?

Anything F-Type related......
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

ninetails wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm I have read (probably on this forum) that there was a problem with a plastic pipe assembly (that the coolant hoses fit onto) bolted to the engine, under the super charger, that cracks. They were being fixed under warranty.
Yes I had that - a couple of weeks after a weeping coolant pump was replaced under warranty during the routine service - I'd noticed the level going from full to add in 2-3 weeks - that's maybe half a pint max.

As I understand it it's a Y-shaped pipe, manufactured from a top and bottom half seam welded along the middle, that gets changed out for a new design, but does involve removal of the supercharger, and therefore potential issues with bonnet re-alignment too. But if the pipe goes you will know about it as it dumps the coolant over the radiator fans!

Incidentally, when I got the car back from the dealer it appeared to have been a bit of a Stevie Wonder job - plastic cover missing from the bonnet nuts, the passenger door actually catching and flicking the rubbishly re-fitted bonnet when you opened it, rubbing the paint off, clueless about how the bonnet should be closed properly - hence maybe strained it, and to cap it all (pun intended) the coolant cap rubber washer had been folded over and so knackered the ratchet mechanism as someone had tightened it right down. Awesome job!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

gasgas

Post by gasgas »

reading you review of when you got the car back and others not happy with jaguar quality, I think every post should start with the name of the garage good or bad.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Yes, the quality was shocking in that instance, but I think you have to be very careful with such proposals.

You tend to only hear about bad service, and one person's terrible experience can occur at the same time as another's great one - a lot of it boils down to the people involved, and circumstance can play a big part too.
Also it's easy to walk away after a bad experience, but if the dealer understands this and wants your future business, then it's a chance to get a good experience the next time - maybe a credit towards costs, loan of a nice car as opposed to a diesel XE (no offence!) - put the ball in their court to prove themselves if they really want to keep your business.
With the move towards bigger combined JLR dealerships they have a lot of staff and service bays to keep busy right now, but a down-turn in sales.
I'd agree with an area for posting about good service though.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

dbv6s wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:39 pm
Elementad wrote:Noticed blowing white smoke during normal driving through exhaust or a sweetish type smell from car?
Definitely no smell
As for white smoke I don’t think so but haven’t been looking for it- what would this indicate?
Would indicate potential cylinder head gasket leak from coolant making way into engine.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Small update;
Since topping the coolant up (admittedly only 2 days ago) I’ve ran the car through about 10 cycles - up to temp, mixture of driving, some pressing on, some relaxed, checked the coolant this morning and no noticeable difference.

No white smoke
No sweet smell
Coolant cap on (3 audible clicks)
No sign of water in the oil
No sign of leaks or dried coolant spots from expansion tank / hoses that are visible

Will keep a regular eye on it and really appreciate all the replies & advice

If it starts to lose I’ll go for the suggested;
System pressure test, Water pump, Hose below the supercharger
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

That's good to hear.
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

Just had a possible leaking coolant expansion tank today and could not get it booked into Jaguar until 12th April. They suggested to get the AA out and when they turned up the guy suspected an “0” ring that holds a sensor at the bottom of the expansion tank. He could not repair it so he contacted my local Inchcape garage to get it booked in. Under the warranty agreement they have to inspect it within 48hrs. This seal must leak when it under pressure as the leak stopped by the time the AA turned up.
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

Tewy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:17 pm Just had a possible leaking coolant expansion tank today and could not get it booked into Jaguar until 12th April. They suggested to get the AA out and when they turned up the guy suspected an “0” ring that holds a sensor at the bottom of the expansion tank. He could not repair it so he contacted my local Inchcape garage to get it booked in. Under the warranty agreement they have to inspect it within 48hrs. This seal must leak when it under pressure as the leak stopped by the time the AA turned up.
Just rang Inchcape in York to get my leaking expansion tank inspected and repaired. I was told it would be 4/5 days before they could look at it, so the 48hr inspection time given by the AA person goes out of the window. I asked whether I could bring it in on Monday, so that the car is not stood at the dealership unattended and the reply was that it would mean a further delay if other cars came in on short notice. So to sum up the AA person states it will probably need a sensor seal, Inchcape inspect in 4/5 days to confirm the leak again, check whether it is covered by my warranty and then order parts. This does not give you the confidence that you have signed up to a system that rely cares about getting you back on the road quickly. I must say the AA guy was quick to attend and very helpful. He did say he could get hold of the part and do it but when he said that Jaguar had to look at it within 2 days I took that option.
scz4

Post by scz4 »

DIY guide here if you need it, looks simple enough.

Tewy

Post by Tewy »

scz4 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:30 am DIY guide here if you need it, looks simple enough.

Thanks I did watch this YouTube guide and yes it does look easy to do. As my car is on a warranty obviously I do not want to pay for a new expansion tank if needed. It might be the sensor seal at the bottom but I cannot find a part number for this. If I am not covered for this job I will contact DMG to try and get the part. The leak happens when the coolant is warm and the is not at the top where the YouTube example shows it. Taking the car to the garage this afternoon so will check for leak when I get there.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post