Brakes feel

Anything F-Type related......
DFW

Post by DFW »

Hi,

I've had a v8 for 6 months or so. Always had a manual, so it's been an adjustment period, and also not use to the power.

But the one thing i've not been able to get use to is the feel of the brakes. The stopping power is there, but there is quite abit of travel with progressive increase of braking on the pedal. I'm use to a more "responsive" - for lack of a better word - feel to the brake pedal. It somethimes makes me less confident of stopping. I know the car is not light, but just does feel quite right.

Is this just the typical set-up is done on ftypes?, and i'm just not use to it? I've only driven one other v6, and i don't recall how the brake were.

Ps, i've just had dealer service + brake fluid change (my run-about seat blew it's ABS pump, not fun, brakes semi-locked up)

Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

Yes i have had a lot of different set ups
Ap racing brembo etc with 4 ir 6 pistons and have found the f type not as responsive and requires more pressure on brake pedal to bribg it back down quickly
Shame no one does a reasonably priced upgrade
Looks wise the discs are just a slab of iron and would have expected at least drilled discs
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Mine seem ideal. Takes more pressure than standard saloons and SUV’s, but the braking ability is much higher. This is more typical of how sports cars are set up than generally excessive servo on standard cars and allows better control

I actually find my Evoque harder to drive where gentle pressure can result in harsh braking
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
basher

Post by basher »

Mine feel great too. I've got the high performance brakes. Better than my old TTS.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

Ive got the high perf as well but found my c63 brakes and ap racing set up on a impreza much sharper
The hi perf brakes are still a basic sliding caliper set up just bigger
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

@ DFW

Why not use the "Pedal Graph" on the dynamic Menu so that you can see for yourself how much you are applying the brake at any one time.

You may think it's a long travel but the graph will tell you "where you're at"
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Also do you brake with out using the gears and engine braking.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

did they leave air in the brake lines when the fluid was changed?
DFW

Post by DFW »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

@Santoshlv426
I saw the acceration graph, i must have missed the brake pedal graph.

@Timbo
I tend to use the auto box alot when i get stuck behind traffic, so i find i don't use the gear paddles much. I would have loved to have the v8 with a manual box.

@Gasgas
No brakes feels the same after the service and fluid change. The stopping power is there, just seems to bite after much more peddle travel that i'm use to.

I guess as some other people have the same opinion, it might just be what i'm use to. Will def check out the pdeal graph.
scm

Post by scm »

DFW wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 pmI would have loved to have the v8 with a manual box.
The manual option was only available if you opted for three-quarters of an engine. ;)
And that's been discontinued now, too, I think the clutch was problematic - lots of US owners went through several generations before getting one that worked..
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post