Lessons of an amateur car washer

Anything F-Type related......
PDE

Post by PDE »

Jagman100 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:05 pm Lovely car PDE.

Ha yes Jeeper I know what you mean but I check it’s grit free before I start, incidentally what do you recommend or use then please?

This is Isabella after her wash and make up!
BTW Steve love the look of your Italian Racing Red, with the Black Alloys 🤩🤩🤩
F-Type P300 R-DYNAMIC, Fuji White, 5060 20" Alloys.
Gone, but not forgotten -
Audi S3 8v Saloon
Nissan 350Z
Nissan 350Z
Honda S2000
etc..

Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Thanks for that Phil appreciated and also for yours and everyone’s advice on cleaning, I’ve already ordered her a nice big towel and some more cleaning products, I need to start soon as I’m taking her to the Beaulieu Jaguar event next weekend so she’ll be cleaned within an inch of her life...

Kind regards,

Steve
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Ceramic coating had sped things up no end. Fallout remover on wheels (also ceramic coated); jet wash off plus loosen any major dirt in or near wheel arches; ultimate finish snow foam; jet wash off; dry with large microfibre; rainX on windows; mats out; hoover; meguiars interior detail with a small microfibre. Done in under an hour. Admire from various angles. Cuppa or can of lager. Admire again. Sleep anticipating tomorrow’s drive. Simples.
BRG V6 with 20 inch alloys and the Exhaust switch!
Tel

Post by Tel »

Oh the joys of having Self healing Paint Protection Film.....damp MF and some QD spray...job, jobbed, and the paint protected for donkeys years!

After 15 years of concours prep and polishing, (before it was called detailing) I have learnt that time and prodcuts cost a lot of money over the years, and I could have given all my vehicles the PPF treatment had I known...
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Tel wrote:Oh the joys of having Self healing Paint Protection Film.....damp MF and some QD spray...job, jobbed, and the paint protected for donkeys years!

After 15 years of concours prep and polishing, (before it was called detailing) I have learnt that time and prodcuts cost a lot of money over the years, and I could have given all my vehicles the PPF treatment had I known...

TEL, what did the full PPF set you back if you don’t mind me asking
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I don't polish the FT.
My car is subjected to few elements and mostly suits in the garage

Doesn't polishing remove some of the "protective clear paint sealant" that the cars have ?

It's the main reason I don't polish.

What's the difference between polishing and detailing ?
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

santoshlv426 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 am It's the main reason I don't polish.
The reason I don't polish is that I'm very lazy - much prefer driving it! :D
What's the difference between polishing and detailing?
AIUI, polishing is a stage of detailing, after the initial pass of removing swirls and generally improving the finish of the paintwork. Proper detailers are, or should be, obsessive in their work!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I don’t think there is a need to be obsessive for detailing.
Polishing is one part of a process. Detailing is an entire process. Wash clean, clay, correct, polish, seal, wax. Of which you include some, all, or more steps
Detailing can become obsessive :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Tel

Post by Tel »

santoshlv426 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 am I don't polish the FT.
My car is subjected to few elements and mostly suits in the garage

Doesn't polishing remove some of the "protective clear paint sealant" that the cars have ?

It's the main reason I don't polish.

What's the difference between polishing and detailing ?
Yes.
Every time you wipe the surface with whatever cloth etc you use, you remove a gnats crotchet of the surface lacquer - Fact.
Nano protection sealants (incl. normal polish) get removed at a faster rate than the lacquer and therefore sacrificial - Fact.

That's why I PPF anything that I want to protect, that's for me with a keeper car for example.

Detailing is a B.S name for the 'ole fashioned' polishing, remember T-Cut and Simoniz Paste wax?

Mainly though for companies to make lots of money by selling you lots of different products that smell nice, but generally do jack and also keeps the forums alive by selling so much crap that people continually discuss the pro's and con's of such crap. ;-)

dbv6s post_id wrote: TEL, what did the full PPF set you back if you don’t mind me asking
A lot, as mine is completely covered from top to toe and I have a 10mm overlap around every single edge. It took 2 very experienced guys 11 days to complete. That doesn't come cheap, however it's a small percentage of the original car cost.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩