Lessons of an amateur car washer

Anything F-Type related......
DarkLumen

Post by DarkLumen »

As I was left to my own devices last night I thought I would try give the car a wash and wax I learnt several things along the way.

1. My definition of sparingly and that of double speed wax are very different. Lesson for future: Open tin, show car tin, quickly close tin.
2. After 3 hours it gets tiring have some emergency beverage of choice to keep the spirits up, perhaps a snack
3. My kick plates still had the protective cover on (10 months in), they are now much shiner
4. Get some sort of wheel cleaning tool to avoid hand cramps
5. A buffer device seems like a magic solution, its not I still had to go over everything twice with a buffing towel
6. Even if you think the car is really clear before waxing, it isn't.
7. Tar is a pain

Anyway the I made it to the end its as clean as I've been able to get it and quiet pleased with the result. Its ready for a drive out to Liverpool on Friday. Work trip but 3 hours each way in the F-type can hardly be considered work :)

20190703_210335.jpg

20190703_210328.jpg

20190703_205929.jpg

Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Looks like you did a great job, it looks cleaner than mine when I bought it...lol

I tend to use a Turtle Wax (wipe on and dust off) twice a year with weekly washes of clean water and a leather off, seems to do the trick but then I don’t do many miles,

Would like to get it detailed but never seem to find time, always working unfortunately,

You have a beautiful car, same colour and wheels as mine,

Kind regards,

Steve
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
PDE

Post by PDE »

Lovely job. Just finished cleaning mine only 2 hours as it justed needed a quick clean and no polishing. Just a detail quick shine.

20190704_174629.jpg

F-Type P300 R-DYNAMIC, Fuji White, 5060 20" Alloys.
Gone, but not forgotten -
Audi S3 8v Saloon
Nissan 350Z
Nissan 350Z
Honda S2000
etc..
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Good results from your efforts

Steve
Leather? This is the tool of devil. Used just to capture grit and turn it into a tool to make swirls.
Often seen draped close to the ground in car parks and garden centres drying and ready for an East European to attack cars with.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Lovely car PDE.

Ha yes Jeeper I know what you mean but I check it’s grit free before I start, incidentally what do you recommend or use then please?

This is Isabella after her wash and make up!

E9F46FED-5AF7-41C8-ACD8-D105D2570D0E.jpeg

PDE

Post by PDE »

I use https://www.clbcarcare.co.uk/clb-deluxe ... -164-p.asp
They get machine washed after each use. Also have lots of the smaller Microfiber Cloths they do.
Normal procedure is jet wash then fallout remover.
Then snow foam then hand wash and then dry with the big towel.
Then polish or detail spray.
Been trying the https://www.cargods54.com products.

Not that I have OCD or anything 😁😁😁
Phil
F-Type P300 R-DYNAMIC, Fuji White, 5060 20" Alloys.
Gone, but not forgotten -
Audi S3 8v Saloon
Nissan 350Z
Nissan 350Z
Honda S2000
etc..
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Ooh yes I like the idea of wrapping her in a big soft towel and I might try one of the Diamond car waxes as well, cheers for that Phil ;)

Kind regards,

Steve
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Rinse, drain and if I don’t use the water purifier so it dries clean without touch then I use a microfibrer drying towels flat that lifts the water off with no wiping
Wife kindly washes them with no conditioner as and when asked :)

BTW - you cannot get micro grit out of a leather. If you don’t believe me when you finished rinsing put it in a washing bowl with warm water squeeze, fill wring, etc and watch the water go black
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Julies

Post by Julies »

You have made a nice job there, to keep your nice gloss black wheels scratch free I would invest in a set of Wheel Woolies
they are perfect for cleaning wheels using the small brush will get between calliper and rim as there is not much room there unfortunately they aren’t cheep, https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/wheel- ... b-kit.html
I have a couple of these for drying after rinsing, I would wash and tumble dry a couple of times before use otherwise you’re end up with fibres left behind. https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/cleanyou ... ying-towel.
Take a look at Autofinesse products they do a whole range of car cleaning products, I use Glisten as a quick detailer after every wash. Happy cleaning 😃
davidd

Post by davidd »

snow foam, mitts, 2 buckets, a wheel wand thing, a couple of wooly mammoths with autoglym aquawax.
It gets a couple of polishes a year.

Hate washing, rather be driving!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post