Independent warranty for used private car

Anything F-Type related......
ml276

Post by ml276 »

Hello all! Long time lurker. Been patiently waiting to join the F-Type family for several months now. Given some of the horror stories on here and my families previous experiences with Jaguars, I am really keen on a 2 year warranty for peace of mind.

For this reason I avoided looking at private sellers for some time. However, Jaguar approved and other trade dealers never seem to have the car I want. There are a few private cars I am now interested in and wanted to seek the forums experiences on independent warranties.

I was initially looking at warranty wise, but have just come across MotorEasy and ALA, which both appear to have much better reviews. Any one have any experiences with these companies or any recommendations / particular packages? Thanks!
MY16 V6S Coupe Corris Grey

scm

Post by scm »

How recent are your family's horror stories? I'm now on my 4th jag, previously had XK8, 4.2 XKR and 5.0 XKR and haven't needed any warranty work done on any of them, just routine maintenance and failure of age-related parts (oil pipe at 90,000 miles, coolant expansion tank, neither of which was as expensive to fix as a warranty cost). No issues for over a year with my 2017 F-Type. Maybe I've just been lucky, or you've been unlucky, but in my experience Jaguars are very reliable cars. So I don't buy warranty, just put the money aside to fix things and make a profit!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ml276

Post by ml276 »

scm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:53 pm How recent are your family's horror stories? I'm now on my 4th jag, previously had XK8, 4.2 XKR and 5.0 XKR and haven't needed any warranty work done on any of them, just routine maintenance and failure of age-related parts (oil pipe at 90,000 miles, coolant expansion tank, neither of which was as expensive to fix as a warranty cost). No issues for over a year with my 2017 F-Type. Maybe I've just been lucky, or you've been unlucky, but in my experience Jaguars are very reliable cars. So I don't buy warranty, just put the money aside to fix things and make a profit!
Good few years tbf - think it was a jaguar s type. Good to hear! Did you buy privately from dealer? I think the thought of buying privately + the cost (coming from an Audi TT so a bit of an upgrade) gives me anxiety :? :oops:
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Bought mine privately. Saved around 10-15 grand & still has the warrantee from jaguar. It has had the appropriate services done at main dealers though.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

If you want history checks and specs of any car your looking at then PM me reg and I'll lookup the VIN on Jaguars system and report back.

I'm back from holiday Monday. I have a few to do.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
ml276

Post by ml276 »

simpleR wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:51 pm If you want history checks and specs of any car your looking at then PM me reg and I'll lookup the VIN on Jaguars system and report back.

I'm back from holiday Monday. I have a few to do.
Oh wow thanks. Might take you up on that offer! :D
scm

Post by scm »

My first two (XK8 and 4.2 old shape XKR) were bought from independents, 5.0 XKR from a main dealer. The 5.0 XKR was delivered to me with a wiring fault that the dealer fixed under warranty (afetr they'd claimed it wasn't covered and I'd explained it would anyway be covered by the sale of goods act. But once sorted out only routine maintenance, tyres and er, oh yeah, fuel! I kept that car for 5 years until I traded it for the F-Type, again from a main dealer. :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Don’t forget that forums only really have threads about problems, not flawless performance.
You can begin to believe that they all F’s fall to pieces but simply not the case

As for warranties. They are insurance type products so read the T&C’s very carefully. Exclusions, limits, etc.

Personally I’d never take one out as it’s average cost of repairs plus costs plus profit, so on average you losep
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
BlackTypeR

Post by BlackTypeR »

I had similar concerns around warranty, and hence initially only considered main dealer cars.

However I ended buying from a small family-owned independent place, as the car came with an autoguard platinum warranty that looks solid! Have a look at their website. If I had bought private, I would have definitely considered getting the autoguard warranty myself.

The only advantage buying from a main dealer in my opinion would be that you could go in for small niggles, especially in the beginning, and hope for a lot of goodwill, especially under warranty. For example, ended up getting my mildly rusted sub rear frame repainted and protected (dealer paid) rather than replaced (i recon you have better changes getting it replaced under JLR warranty than without... although not guaranteed)
Black F Type R AWD 2015
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3764
alanva

Post by alanva »

Hi,
Like yourself, I have always been a bit wary of buying privately due to the lack of protection if there are "unknown" faults or they develop soon after purchase.
I have used Warranty Direct many times over the last 12 years or so, indeed two of my cars currently have one of their policies. They actually cover "wear & tear" items, but the policy has to have been in force for 3 months for that. However, if you have a car dealer warranty, Warranty Direct will let their policy run alongside that and - obviously, if you have made no claims on it - will give you full 12 months cover at the end of the dealer warranty. You can alter the excesses and whether you want to use Main Dealer or any other VAT-registered repairer. Of course, the premium reflects that but I still think they are good value. No axe to grind - not connected with them.
I have claimed a few times on repairs costing a few hundred pounds ( ball joints, thermostat, etc.) and they have been true to their word. Might be worth a look - you can get a quote online. The founder and former CEO now runs Motoreasy but not sure if they do the same "wear & tear" cover.
Regards,
A.
2014 V6 Coupe. Salsa Red, Black full leather, glass roof, 19" alloys, switchable exhaust, reverse camera, black tyres, glass windows. NOW SOLD!
2011 Infiniti fx 50 SUV 5.0 V8
2008 Mercedes C230 2.5 V6
2006 BMW X5 Sport 4.4 V8

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post