Paint defect on New F Type What Should I do?

Anything F-Type related......
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

PhilB wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 am
JurassicF wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:41 am Hmm!
May have helped if you advise us of your country of domicile🤔
Exactly.
It can avoid a lot of confusion if members show their location.
OP's IP address comes back to Doha, Qatar so I have no idea what local consumer laws might be.
I live in Qatar and consumer protection here is very strong. A number of main dealers were closed down for 6 months, fined very heavily and ordered to refund dozens of buyers in full because they were selling new cars that had been repaired/repainted after arriving here due to damage during transit and they hadn’t advised the customer. Some had had their cars for over 6 months.

Assuming the OP is a British citizen and buying in UK (no way you’d get a new car in 3 months here) then UK law should still apply.

Having said that, I wonder how many cars have defects that are noticed by the dealers, professionally repaired or repainted before the customer sees it and no one ever finds out?

JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Problem is, we have no idea if the car he is talking about is a UK car or a Doha car!
A but more location information would be useful to the forum members he is asking advice from.

Certainly if it's a UK car through a UK dealer them he should reject it!

His current domicile would have no bearing on his consumer rights.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I cannot comment on the rejection rights as this is certain to depend on local laws and conditions, but can comment on repainting

Last year I took delivery of an Evoque. Just a few months old and the bonnet was damaged by attempted theft. It was fully resprayed and I can guarantee nobody could tell, aside using a paint gauge on it.

Since, my wife has scratched the bumper and a friend who runs a bodyshop did the whole of that and on seeing a factory mismatch of bumper to wings (common issue) corrected that too. My F Type has a new bumper SVR fitted and is a perfect match to the rest of the car. We are talking of 2 very hard to match colours and both are perfect under any light conditions

The place where my cars are sprayed or repaired does high end cars every day (last time I visited a Bentley was having several panels resprayed and tells me many new cars in the local main agent next door (not Jaguar) need some respray before sale and by 2-3 years old he's seen a significant percentage in for paint work.

So overall my comment is that resraying is way better than you imagine and in reality will not affect future values.
Personally I'd get them to respray and if you like it take the car and negotiate some other benefit, such as free servicing and if you don't get the agreement of a full return and new car
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Putting the country issue to one side, I’d get them to respray. I know you are ordering new but if they match the paint perfectly then great (I don’t see a repainted bonnet as an issue personally)
If they don’t match perfectly, then sure, go down a rejection route.

Ask for a courtesy car in the mean time, even push for some compensation - Ftype accessory etc..

Allow the dealer the chance to fix, it won’t show up on any record and certainly wouldn’t put me off buying second hand

Factory cars often come with defects in the paint, orange peel etc. A respray (as long as it’s done right) is as good as new

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post