Low battery issue after first MOT and health check.

Anything F-Type related......
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

badger wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:06 pm
Dazarooni wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:53 pm
Tel wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:11 pm A lot of MOT centres are too lazy to read the VIN number and establish the car details, so they access the OBD port and extract the data that way.

As we are all well aware, this is fine with very few OBD tools, but the majority will leave the car in a state of Limbo.

I didn't want people connecting/disconnecting willy, nilly so bought myself an OBD lockable cover. Been in through services with JPR no problem...I just tell them what's fitted and that I don't want any updates...thanks all the same!
What I really don't understand is - There must be a lot of people who receive their car back and drive it home only to be greeted with a low battery warning later that day or next day. Or, am I unique in that they're reserving their cr@p service for me specifically??!! I just don't get it - Surely it is happening to loads of folk and they would have nipped it in the bud a long time ago? It's just disgraceful service IMO.
your not alone. after picking mine up and having a 200 mile round trip my car had this issue, jaguar assist (aa) come out, jump started it but same thing happened next day. another jump start back to dealer then next day covid lockdown happened, they had car for 7 weeks! luckily i had a f type courtesy car although i couldn't go anywhere because of restrictions. :D

Did they say what the issue was? When the issued happened with me at the MOT this time last year, I just drove the car straight back to them and told them to fix their mistakes. They tried to say it was coincidence and that lots of JLR vehicles suffer from low battery warnings. The car didn't miss a beat in the 1 and a half year's of ownership up to that point. I'm just amazed that they allowed the same thing to happen again. I can't speak to them about it because I would lose it.

At least it's an easy fix - even for a technical novice like me. Only thing I had to do was set the date but everything else is back to normal.

Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

I had the very same problem last year, It can't be a coincidence it is something the technicians are not doing right disconnecting from the OBD port.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3832&p=36304#p36304
MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Just not shutting the program down before disconnecting from OBD.
Just lazy!
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
badger

Post by badger »

Dazarooni wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:13 pm
badger wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:06 pm
Dazarooni wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:53 pm

What I really don't understand is - There must be a lot of people who receive their car back and drive it home only to be greeted with a low battery warning later that day or next day. Or, am I unique in that they're reserving their cr@p service for me specifically??!! I just don't get it - Surely it is happening to loads of folk and they would have nipped it in the bud a long time ago? It's just disgraceful service IMO.
your not alone. after picking mine up and having a 200 mile round trip my car had this issue, jaguar assist (aa) come out, jump started it but same thing happened next day. another jump start back to dealer then next day covid lockdown happened, they had car for 7 weeks! luckily i had a f type courtesy car although i couldn't go anywhere because of restrictions. :D

Did they say what the issue was? When the issued happened with me at the MOT this time last year, I just drove the car straight back to them and told them to fix their mistakes. They tried to say it was coincidence and that lots of JLR vehicles suffer from low battery warnings. The car didn't miss a beat in the 1 and a half year's of ownership up to that point. I'm just amazed that they allowed the same thing to happen again. I can't speak to them about it because I would lose it.

At least it's an easy fix - even for a technical novice like me. Only thing I had to do was set the date but everything else is back to normal.
no, they didn't say what it was. they just said they had tested it and there was no longer a drain on the battery and that the battery was in good condition.
2015 polaris white s.
panoramic roof, black design pack, climate pack, parking pack ,heated performance seats, red belts, flat bottom steering wheel, 20'' tornado wheels, powered tailgate, black badges. (now sold)
Tel

Post by Tel »

Diabolik wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:27 pm I had the very same problem last year, It can't be a coincidence it is something the technicians are not doing right disconnecting from the OBD port.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3832&p=36304#p36304
It's not 100% techs fault, here's why;

When you take your car to a Jaguar dealer, they use SDD tool. If the session is not 'Finished or closed' correctly can leave the car in Limbo, agreed. This can be the result of the Tech pulling the plug early - Hazard triangle remains lit in cabin.

Many third party OBD readers (hobbyist workshop quality tools from £25 - £3k) work absolutely perfectly, however there seems to be an issue with the car communicating with the device and vice versa and not being able to trigger the car modules to return to their quiescent, initial state.

To send the modules back to their initial state is a simple message sent to the vehicle...I was at the point of stripping this message out of the gobbledy goop of other info with a US OBD company, but didn't feel comfortable using MY car as a guinea pig, so I bottled it!
Shame really as once this fix is known, it can be update to the OBD firmware really easily, meaning you could plug/unplug without any hanging.

So, for the forseeable future, it's a simple reboot, by lifting the +ve terminal for a few seconds.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Tel wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:11 pm
I didn't want people connecting/disconnecting willy, nilly so bought myself an OBD lockable cover.
I'm interested in getting one of these OBD lockable covers. Could you define the actual one you bought, so i know it fits the ftype please. Or are they all the same? Also, does it just clip over and lock, or is there an installation to do?
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Tel

Post by Tel »

Jaguandy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:04 am
Tel wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:11 pm
I didn't want people connecting/disconnecting willy, nilly so bought myself an OBD lockable cover.
I'm interested in getting one of these OBD lockable covers. Could you define the actual one you bought, so i know it fits the ftype please. Or are they all the same? Also, does it just clip over and lock, or is there an installation to do?
I went for a universal locking type - from B.E.M Auto in the US as it was nicely engineered from a solid piece of Alooominum.
Can't seem to find them on the web?

Find a style that you like and email the makers to see if it will fit the F.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

Weird how it happens at MOT with them but not at either of the two services.

I think when it comes to MOT next year, I'll find somewhere else.
scm

Post by scm »

Dazarooni wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:27 pm Weird how it happens at MOT with them but not at either of the two services.
Presumably they plug different kit into the OBD for the MOT than for the service.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

scm wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:36 pm
Dazarooni wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:27 pm Weird how it happens at MOT with them but not at either of the two services.
Presumably they plug different kit into the OBD for the MOT than for the service.
Unless I'm the only person who has this issue with them, I'll just never understand why it happened again a year later. You'd think if they knew it would cause problems by not closing the OBD session properly then the issue wouldn't happen. A year on and its still happening. Shame there's no Jaguar independents near here as I'd happily use them but oh well.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post