Low battery issue after first MOT and health check.

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

My independent never uses the OBD socket for MOTs, only for servicing. Never had the drain issue after he's plugged into it.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

ninetails

Post by ninetails »

When I had this problem, 14 months ago, after a service and MOT, and complained that the techs had not ended the session correctly after accessing OBD port they told me that they had not plugged into the OBD port. During the conversation the tech said they had accessed the electrical system using an official "Jaguar hand held wireless device/tool". He also said there was no facility to "log out" with this tool, they would investigate. I did not hear from them what conclusion they came to, if any. 2 months ago I had another service and MOT. (same Jaguar dealer) No problems with "low battery" warning this time. Probably just good luck.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

Just had my service & MOT done and the day after the battery was flat. The AA has just called and he said it is linked with the equipment they use for the omissions test. He is now charging the battery and then will have to reprogram the car. He said as the battery had gone dead it is not necessary to disconnect the battery to reset the system. This is poor Jaguar service
F type 3.0 V6 supercharged manual, Honda CRV, Jaguar XJ-SC manual 3.6
scm

Post by scm »

The US guys have this problem every time they have their smog test - it's caused by incorrect disconnection from the OBD port. If your dealer caused the issue you should inform them so they know of the problem since not all devices cause it - my independent has never caused the issue in mine.

To preempt it in future, check the hazard light switch 10 minutes after locking the car - if it's still illuminated the problem has been triggered - battery disconnect is the quickest reset option.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

I am further annoyed by the AAs report I have just received as he has said the cause needs further investigation. Nothing was mentioned about the times he has been to this problem that has occurred after a service/MOT call. He is being diplomatic with his words so this makes my complaint to Jaguar not so strong. At the end of the visit there was great emphasis on my battery being 5yr old and that I should get it replaced. I do accept this to a certain degree but I do not want Jaguar to blame this issue totally on the battery so I have asked for more clarity from the AA about statements said + asked for feedback from my local Jaguar repair agent. The obvious sign that the car was not shutting down was the internal lights on the doors were not going out. After the AA guy had reprogrammed the car I still noticed these light still on and to that he said it was that the battery was still low to function correctly. He then disconnected the battery even after he said this was not needed and the result sorted this out. I am not letting this go so I am putting people on the spot about about comments made. Went into my local garage today and the service person said they had never heard of this before so I directed her to look at comments on the internet. I will get a new battery in the near future and I will ask Jaguar to help with the cost. I must be in cuckoo land to expect that to be an easy compensation for the the 2 days inconvenience it has caused me.
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

My car had its 3rd MOT a couple of months ago, this time I steered well clear of the local Jaguar dealer. I used Kwik Fit and the car was handed back to me in the exact way I handed it to them - no low battery warning. So, steer clear of your local Jaguar dealer for its MOT. Two times out of two MOTs the car came back to me with the low battery message. I've had two services with the same dealer and there were no issues with the low battery message. I will not be using the dealer ever again because their customer service is appalling.

My car is 5 years old and there's no issues with the battery. There's only been issues with what they've been doing during the MOT at the Jaguar Dealership and their sheer ignorance and arrogance has deterred me from ever stepping foot on their premises again.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Sounding completely like a BBC Radio 5 Live Producer. In the interests of balance, I’ve has three MOT & services at Inchcape Jaguar Derby & never had this issue 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Dazarooni

Post by Dazarooni »

DaddyDarren wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:11 pm Sounding completely like a BBC Radio 5 Live Producer. In the interests of balance, I’ve has three MOT & services at Inchcape Jaguar Derby & never had this issue 👍
Maybe we should all use your dealer then.
Tewy

Post by Tewy »

Without mentioning their names I have been involved with 2 dealerships they have a common issue which is a lack of communication. Every time I ring them I cannot get anyone to answer immediately my call to the service department. They say they will ring back but I end up chasing them again. It is exactly the same if you send an e-mail. My previous car was an XJS and you cannot beat talking direct to the technician. I have an intermittent problem where my clutch pedal does not return fully unless I lift it with my foot. They will not entertain involvement unless they see it happening and was asked if I had tried to video it happening. Come on are they real to expect me to get down in the footwell and try get this. Having said this they said he could not guarantee this video would be enough to start an investigation. I was considering getting another years warranty but now I will save the amount of money so that I can control what action can be done on the car. In the year I have owned this car I have had to deal with corroded brace struts, seized active exhaust, sticking clutch and the latest flat battery problem . Their response to every problem leaves you drained as action cannot be done without JLR backup unless you sign to pay for it. Each time I spoke to them they say they have not heard of the problem. The people that answer your booking seem to have a limited amount of knowledge which leaves you with a lack of confidence getting issues sorted. I am sure there are better dealers but I have not come across them.
01286p

Post by 01286p »

My V6s went into our local Jaguar Dealer (Hatfields Shrewsbury) for its 5-year service and mot.
Collected it and drove home in the dark so the headlights were needed.
We always have the headlight setting on auto so when I put it away in our garage having double-locked the car it never occurred to me to check if the headlights had gone out before shutting the garage door as normally they go off after about 30 seconds.
The following morning the battery was dead, not even enough power to even power up the instruments.
I telephoned Hatfields explained the situation and was told that I should contact the AA and ask them to come out - having said that the flat battery was probably caused by something they might have done whilst it was being serviced or motd they arranged for a mechanic to come out.
When the chap arrived his first words were that jaguar batteries only last for five years so was probably needing a new one.
None the less he fiddled about a bit and using a slave battery started the car - he then told me that the headlights were set on manual not auto.
So perhaps the moral of the story is that having been to a Jaguar Dealer for a service one should check that the Red triangle goes out before leaving the Dealer.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post