Bye bye to the F-type

Anything F-Type related......
Megatron

Post by Megatron »

So I sold my F-type on Friday and for the first time in living memory it wasn't to move into another performance car. So I guess this is a parting review of 3 years with the Jag.

Why did I sell?
I wasn't using it that much, and the arrival of an ST-Line 140 Fiesta as my everyday car meant that I had a fun alternative - even one that was intended as Dad's taxi. I ended up using this more than I thought. My finance agreement still had a year to go but my warranty extension was coming up; as was my insurance renewal and I couldn't stomach 2k just to keep it on the drive. So decided to change now and save the money I would have spent on it's replacement....

What will I miss?
1) The looks. Best looking car I have ever owned.
2) The noise. Just ridiculous V8 sound
3) The dealer service I had from Hadfields Sheffield. Always a high level of service and I was very happy with them. I saw them a lot!
4) They tyre costs - actually quite reasonable and much more so than my old 911
5) The Jaguar owners. I loved the Breakfast club and meeting some of you; friendliest forum I have ever been on - thanks.

What won't I miss?
1) The reliability. Over the course of it's time with me it has had quite a few electrical faults. Main fan, relays, temperamental locking and finally an SD card reading issue. Mechanically no problems but I'm not a fan of JLR electrical build quality
2) The forward visibility. Turning into my work car park and I found not being able to see where my front corner was disconcerting.
3) The driving experience. This isn't a fault of the car more a reflection of what I want from my fun car. I want a sharp focussed sports car and the F-type just isn't that. Brilliant sporty GT though.
4) The brakes/weight. It's just a heavy car.
5) The depreciation. It's a little secondary (I don't buy these cars as an investment) but losing 3 times what I lost on a 911 in the same time frame stings a little.
6) The noise. Controversial I know but I'd like some engine noise, not just exhaust. My neighbours probably agree...
7) The power. The V8 is so powerful the opportunities to use it were extremely limited, and dare I say it not massively useable in everyday driving. I'd never thought I'd own a car that I felt had too much power and speed to enjoy......

Clearly if I loved the car I'd never have considered getting rid....but the numbers and enjoyment didn't stack up anymore.

So what's next - I don't know. Think I will look at an R8 V10 Spyder and the new Boxster Spyder/GT4 when it comes out.

I hope what I've posted doesn't come across too negatively but it is what it is!

Rhodium Silver V8R AWD

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Sounds like you need a lotus evora!
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

would not disagree with a lot of what you say but i do disagree with the one about use in every day driving - despite being a V8 5 litre i find it potters around town quite comfortably (petrol usage not included) and of course once on the open road..........
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

You cite "2k" insurance. Is this a normal rate for the UK ? I build up 16yrs damage free driving and get a 75% discount,
paying € 1250 annually for 'full cover' so max extended "all risk".
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

No. My insurance fully comprehensive with business use and everything included is £612 a year. I think the OP ment the sum of insurance, road tax, extended warranty was £2k not just the insurance.

I don't disagree with the OP's leaving comments. I think if your not driving it everyday its not worth having. Although if I had a fiesta and an F-Type I know which one I would be taking each morning.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

simpleR wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:29 pm .. I think if your not driving it everyday its not worth having...
Ok. The 2K allin makes sense.

But we have 3 cars and I'm retired. We store the D3 in Portugal in summer [ fly up&down] and avoid paying € 300 pm in roadtax here and
carrental in Portugal. The Tourer we use daily, also the (3) kids do . To go to the city and park there ; I want to keep it mint, so now way..

I end up driving the F-Type twice a week, to go for a walk or for lunch somewhere. Or like last week : across the nation to visit a relative
with a driveway, not in a city.. But I also make very long trips. Like the alpine tour with my son [7500km] and the Portugal tour jolt due
in october [>7000Km ]; we use it mainly as a GT..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post