Pirelli vs Michelin

Anything F-Type related......
Gom Jabbar

Post by Gom Jabbar »

There have been quite some posts over time where people seem to be favouring Michelin over the recommended Pirelli’s when getting new tyres. What I’m missing is the alleged difference between the two? Can anyone quantify based on experience... is it cost, performance, wear etc?

Thanks

Steve
2018 F-Type SVR in Caldera Red with a huge amount of toys yet to be explored!

vika01

Post by vika01 »

I would say the main reason is grip. Especially for RWD in the rain. Michelin seems better in that.
2016 F-type R AWD coupe. Italian Racing Red.
2012 XJ 3.0 diesel. Polaris White.
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

Having driven two M3 V8 for over 9 years always on Michelin's, I have found the level of grip on my V6 S F Type on Pirelli's rather lacking!!
The level of grip and performance on the Michelin's is on a different level.
I find the Pirelli's are made of a much harder compound and take longer to come up to temperature before you can put your foot down, and I would feel definitely much more secure if it was on Michelin's.

I can not comment on the cost as the ones on my F Type are still new, but there should not be a huge difference in price especially withe the better grip and performance that they bring to the car.
MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Agree with above comments that it’s the grip levels that are so much higher. Ran for a year on Pirelli’s front and 6 months rear until they wore out.
Feels so much more sure footed inspiring confidence

Just a comment on the ‘recommended Pirelli’s’ That’s marketing and price with JLR. Big business to be oem supplier
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Soon I need to change my rear tires. Did 17.500kms sofar, but in october will make another 8000km trip to southern Portugal and back.
Tire guy said it would not be a problem, still roughly 4mm on it now. But I do not find a real problem with the PZ's now they are 'worn in'.

In the first few thousand km's they were skiddish on occasion, not anymore it seems. Or I got used to it, I dunno..

But what I am worried for is that when I change to Michelin and they skid only on higher excess speeds, would you not get
far less warning and wouldn't it be more 'violent' or more 'sudden' ?
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post