Auto selecting too high gear driving me mad

Anything F-Type related......
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

mickjaguar wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:26 pm This is a characteristic common to all of the 2 litre petrol autos. Our XE behaves the same. Stamp on the accelerator pedal and it hesitates briefly whilst it works out the selection of the lowest gear and then takes off like a scalded cat. After a while you adjust to it and anticipate the reaction. I think we've both adopted a progressive throttle action where you gradually increase pushing the pedal down, so that when it launches and doesn't get the kick down, after which the throttle is increased to full. It's sort of become second nature now. Lots posted on this topic over on the XE forum.
I also had a 2 litre XE and you have described the behaviour perfectly. I assumed that as the F-Type is the sports model, they would do away with this economy nonsense. For example it doesn't have an ECO mode. Unfortunately when I test drove it the roads were all fast dual carriageway and no town driving. Having said that the demonstrators are thrashed so it would probably not do it anyway.
2019 White P300 Coupe

johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

My friend is driving an Audi S1 today. A high spec 2 litre auto. He said as soon as you start moving it goes up to 7th gear as soon as it can so it's difficult to drive. As a result he is having to use sports mode. Looks like all the manufactures may be doing the same thing?
2019 White P300 Coupe
scm

Post by scm »

Well, they're all under same pressure to meet the latest regulations ....
Last edited by scm on Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

This problem does not occur with hybrids. They assist [or full EV] at low speed, no need to switch up to high gear.
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Arne

Post by Arne »

It is the same on my daily - a VW Arteon with a 2.0 tsi 280 bp engine and DSG (dual clutch) gearbox.

It is a rather quick car for it's size (0-100 kmh in 5.6 sec), but you need to put it is sportsmode for the gear to stay in the "sweet spot". Otherwise it will to quick shift to a too high gear.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post