Auto selecting too high gear driving me mad

Anything F-Type related......
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

My P300 is great when it's being driven down fast roads and accelerating but when it's 'commuting' at 30 mph the gearbox is always changing up to the highest gear that it can. It therefore drives along at about 1100 rpm. It changes down quite easily when I press the accelerator but I'm fed up of the labouring sound from the engine and find myself using the paddles all the time as the car loses it's immediate response. I assume the V6 does the same thing but being a larger engine, does the V6 pull OK at such low revs? I also own a V6 diesel XJ which does the same thing but the difference is that at 1100 rpm, the XJ pulls without hesitation.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of the car and I've only owned it a couple of months. It looks great but the gear change is driving me mad. A manual version would obviously not suffer this problem.

Thanks, Chris
2019 White P300 Coupe

scm

Post by scm »

Have you tried driving it in dynamic mode and Sport? Or use the paddles and drive it in manual. I have to say I've never found the gearbox an issue - it seems to predict what I'd do with a manual gearbox, using high gears when pottering about and hanging on to the red line when I'm pushing on.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Dynamic mode will sharpen up throttle response so kick down will be quicker but if just cruising a lot it will end up resting around the same gear/rpm as normal drive mode

S on the gearstick / sport will hold the car in a higher gear even when just cruising so that’s probably your best bet

I have a V6 and engine has plenty of grunt low down, is the lack of power / labouring low down on the revs not just a characteristic of the 2L?
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

scm wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 am Have you tried driving it in dynamic mode and Sport? Or use the paddles and drive it in manual. I have to say I've never found the gearbox an issue - it seems to predict what I'd do with a manual gearbox, using high gears when pottering about and hanging on to the red line when I'm pushing on.
Thanks. I haven't tried a full drive in dynamic or sport. I have experimented driving it manually but I lose the paddles when the steering wheel is not straight :) I will try dynamic on my drive home tonight and let you know.
2019 White P300 Coupe
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

dbv6s wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:30 am Dynamic mode will sharpen up throttle response so kick down will be quicker but if just cruising a lot it will end up resting around the same gear/rpm as normal drive mode

S on the gearstick / sport will hold the car in a higher gear even when just cruising so that’s probably your best bet

I have a V6 and engine has plenty of grunt low down, is the lack of power / labouring low down on the revs not just a characteristic of the 2L?
Thank you. I would say the engine is hopeless less than 2000 rpm. All this max torque at 1500 rpm seems nonsense to me as the engine does not pull rapidly at that rev range. I'm seriously regetting not going for the V6 now.
2019 White P300 Coupe
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

The weird thing is that around town, my 275hp 3 litre V6 diesel XJ feels much faster.
2019 White P300 Coupe
scm

Post by scm »

That's the low end torque of a diesel.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

scm wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:43 am That's the low end torque of a diesel.
Yes. Perhaps I should just hang on until they bring out the electric FType. That will have amazing torque.
2019 White P300 Coupe
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

From reading the thread I would say that is a characteristic of the 2L engine (which is turbo charged?). V6 pulls well and is instant from low revs.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

What you're experiencing is due to the challenge faced by manufacturers. Smaller engines, capable of higher output for the acceleration, but the need to raise MPG, hence holding highest possible gear in any 'cruising' situation. I had direct comparable issue when my 3.0S V6 XF would drive beautifully, but 2.0 courtesy cars droned, felt laboured as they held high gears. They also gave incredible MPG..

Bottom line is your issue is the 2.0 engine. V6 and V8 just don't do this, so for what you expect, sorry to say, but you probably do have the wrong engine

For sure you can put it in sport and it will in most situations be a gear lower, but will drink more fuel
Paddles are the alternative, which I use all the time for the fun of it, but 'losing' them when turning means you're doing something wrong. If you turn so much then you really shouldn't need to be changing gear at that point, unless you're in a car park
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post