Auto selecting too high gear driving me mad

Anything F-Type related......
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

simpleR wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:29 am From reading the thread I would say that is a characteristic of the 2L engine (which is turbo charged?). V6 pulls well and is instant from low revs.
Yes agreed. The 2 litre is a great engine but like most small engines, needs working hard. I think I just don't like the gear change mapping. I know they are thinking economy but I don't think the engine should ever be allowed to drop down to such low rpm as sudden need for acceleration requires and couple of gear drops and then spinning up the turbo instead of instant response. This catches me occasionally.
2019 White P300 Coupe

johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:31 am What you're experiencing is due to the challenge faced by manufacturers. Smaller engines, capable of higher output for the acceleration, but the need to raise MPG, hence holding highest possible gear in any 'cruising' situation. I had direct comparable issue when my 3.0S V6 XF would drive beautifully, but 2.0 courtesy cars droned, felt laboured as they held high gears. They also gave incredible MPG..

Bottom line is your issue is the 2.0 engine. V6 and V8 just don't do this, so for what you expect, sorry to say, but you probably do have the wrong engine

For sure you can put it in sport and it will in most situations be a gear lower, but will drink more fuel
Paddles are the alternative, which I use all the time for the fun of it, but 'losing' them when turning means you're doing something wrong. If you turn so much then you really shouldn't need to be changing gear at that point, unless you're in a car park
Very good points. Agree that I really need to learn how to drive with paddles properly. I'll give it a while and see if I can trade it in for a larger engine.
2019 White P300 Coupe
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

I wouldn’t consider trading in just yet, just adapt your driving style a little

The 2L needs to be worked harder so try a few things;
Driving in S / Sport (gear stick to the left) - will certainly hold a higher gear but this will effect economy, not sure if that’s an issue for you?

Driving in Dynamic - sharper throttle response, will still drop down to the same low gear but take less movement of throttle to drop down a few gears and give you a quicker response, shouldn’t effect economy too much

Both will improve what you are experiencing, the 2L is a great car, a chunk cheaper on list price, people have reported around 20-25% better economy, and a lighter engine to potentially a better drive (?)
Don’t chop and change just yet. I have a V6S and all I want is a V8 - you’ll always want more! ;)
scm

Post by scm »

dbv6s wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 amI have a V6S and all I want is a V8 - you’ll always want more! ;)
I don't want more. ;) Well ... SVRs look nice. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

I feel exactly the same. I only use D on the highway when there's not much traffic. It has gotten a habbit. Start, turn off start/stop put it D and click to S. It makes things a whole lot smoother. The normal D gearshifts are to soon and to sluggish.
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

dbv6s wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 am I wouldn’t consider trading in just yet, just adapt your driving style a little

The 2L needs to be worked harder so try a few things;
Driving in S / Sport (gear stick to the left) - will certainly hold a higher gear but this will effect economy, not sure if that’s an issue for you?

Driving in Dynamic - sharper throttle response, will still drop down to the same low gear but take less movement of throttle to drop down a few gears and give you a quicker response, shouldn’t effect economy too much

Both will improve what you are experiencing, the 2L is a great car, a chunk cheaper on list price, people have reported around 20-25% better economy, and a lighter engine to potentially a better drive (?)
Don’t chop and change just yet. I have a V6S and all I want is a V8 - you’ll always want more! ;)
Thanks. I will experiment with different settings. I don't care at all about fuel economy and if I could have afforded a V8 I wouldn't have hesitated for one second.

The 2 litre was heavily discounted and in addition Jaguar gave a large finance allowance. I bought mine new with a few options and it cost about £44k. I didn't drive a V6 as I didn't want to tempt myself. The finance allowance on the V6 was about £5k less and the car was about £3.5k more.

I'm getting about 30mpg on a 17 mile, mostly 60mph roads which is similar to the economy of my ex 240 XE.
2019 White P300 Coupe
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

SOLDES wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:36 pm I feel exactly the same. I only use D on the highway when there's not much traffic. It has gotten a habbit. Start, turn off start/stop put it D and click to S. It makes things a whole lot smoother. The normal D gearshifts are to soon and to sluggish.
Nick
Excellent thanks.
2019 White P300 Coupe
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

I think this says it all.

FT300torquepowerC.jpg

2019 White P300 Coupe
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I've driven my V8 in dense stop start traffic and it seemed OK compared to any other Auto box.
In manual mode it will hold the gear you select.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

@ Johnson,

I've been seening these graphs for 30 years and I still battle to interpret the data.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post