Auto selecting too high gear driving me mad

Anything F-Type related......
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

santoshlv426 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:45 pm @ Johnson,

I've been seening these graphs for 30 years and I still battle to interpret the data.
The way I read this is that when I'm cruising along at the Jaguar recommended 1100 rpm. I have available under the pedal, about 40HP and about 285Nm torque which is why it responds about the same as my daughter's Fiat 500 ;)
2019 White P300 Coupe

PDE

Post by PDE »

You say you have had it a few months, What mileage have you done?
As soon as I get in my car I put it straight into dynamic mode. I don't experience any of the issue you are talking about. Could just be the way I drive 😁
F-Type P300 R-DYNAMIC, Fuji White, 5060 20" Alloys.
Gone, but not forgotten -
Audi S3 8v Saloon
Nissan 350Z
Nissan 350Z
Honda S2000
etc..
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

PDE wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:01 pm You say you have had it a few months, What mileage have you done?
As soon as I get in my car I put it straight into dynamic mode. I don't experience any of the issue you are talking about. Could just be the way I drive 😁
It's done 350 miles. Tonight on my way home I'm switching off the stop start and going straight for dynamic mode. I have about 2 miles of stop start driving but then 15 of open country roads.
2019 White P300 Coupe
scm

Post by scm »

santoshlv426 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:44 pm In manual mode it will hold the gear you select.
Only on the way up, it'll downshift as you slow down. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

Try to do your same trip in a V6 or V8. I think if you are in slower moving traffic they all fork down to low revs.
We discovered in our 7500km tour of the Alps that we got tired of the paddles and revving, we caught each other
just cruising along not bothering to generate a 'sporty drive' . After 40 odd mountain passes in a few weeks you
have seen enough of that kind of action. Doesn't mean next time we won't revv it..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
scm

Post by scm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:05 am Try to do your same trip in a V6 or V8. I think if you are in slower moving traffic they all fork down to low revs.
Yeah, the gearbox responds to how you're pressing the throttle - give it some beans and it'll hold the gears longer but if you're pottering about it'll always shift up early. You're teaching it how to behave! ;)
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

I tried dynamic and sport modes on the way home. My revs were between 3000 and 5000 doing most of the country roads. In the queues it was more responsive but obviously dropping down below turbo spin-up speed. I walked into the house with a smile on my face and my wife said "You like the car now then?". I think I'll stick with the car for a while longer :D

It certainly gets quite noisy and I arrived home feeling like I'd been in a grand prix.

My fuel consumption dropped from its usual 30 to 27.9 but worth every penny!

Thank you all for the comments and advice.
2019 White P300 Coupe
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

scm wrote:
Dan_Veluwe wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:05 am Try to do your same trip in a V6 or V8. I think if you are in slower moving traffic they all fork down to low revs.
Yeah, the gearbox responds to how you're pressing the throttle - give it some beans and it'll hold the gears longer but if you're pottering about it'll always shift up early. You're teaching it how to behave! ;)

Slightly off topic but I had an E Class coupe which you could reset the auto box ‘behaviour’ by ignition on (not engine) hold accelerator down and press kick down button for 15 secs, few other steps. Then next time you turn the car on and drive it would remember / learn the next 60 gear changes and accelerator inputs.

If I was looking for evening I could reset the car, drive like a granny for 5 mins, then the car would change to highest gear possible all the time until next reset
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

dbv6s wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:56 am
scm wrote:

Slightly off topic but I had an E Class coupe which you could reset the auto box ‘behaviour’ by ignition on (not engine) hold accelerator down and press kick down button for 15 secs, few other steps. Then next time you turn the car on and drive it would remember / learn the next 60 gear changes and accelerator inputs.

If I was looking for evening I could reset the car, drive like a granny for 5 mins, then the car would change to highest gear possible all the time until next reset
As I'm still running in the car I've been taking it easy but it seems a shame that whilst taking it easy, it then makes the car think you are Miss Daisy and permanently messes up the gear change points.
2019 White P300 Coupe
scm

Post by scm »

dbv6s wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:56 am Slightly off topic but I had an E Class coupe which you could reset the auto box ‘behaviour’ by ignition on (not engine) hold accelerator down and press kick down button for 15 secs, few other steps. Then next time you turn the car on and drive it would remember / learn the next 60 gear changes and accelerator inputs.
I think the ZF box in the F-Type doesn't need such a feature - it seems to respond pretty quickly to throttle inputs - start with a bit of quick acceleration and it'll know to hold the gears longer. Of course, as you observe, as soon as you back off it learns that you don't want to burn rubber and starts shifting early. Best to stick it in Sport and see if that improves your experience. And once run in, you can have fun!

No help to you sadly, but my V8 has plenty of go even within run-in limits! :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post