What do you dislike most about your F Type.

Anything F-Type related......
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

For me it would have to be instant increase in rpm on start up, apart from letting everyone know your about to leave I can’t see what the point it is, especially on a COLD engine. Perhaps there should be a choice of ‘quiet or loud’ for those with an aural preference! Maybe it’s quieter on newer models???

Couple of other annoying things for me are the seat belt buckles, it’s not always easy to find them when you get into the car and the sun visors are far too small.....

On a positive note visually it’s a work of art!!! 😉
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.

scm

Post by scm »

Instant increase in RPM on startup? That's just the rich mixture that all petrol engines have used when cold since way back (never heard of a manual choke?). And the cooling system on the engine has been designed for a short warm up period, quite innovative at the time. I think the extra noise is because the vacuum that shuts the valves hasn't buit up.

Can't say I've ever found the seat belt buckles hard to find, maybe you're tucking them in behind the seat instead of letting the belt drape over the side cushion? Neither have I found the sun visors too small, maybe if I was shorter it'd be problem.

As to what I dislike about it, that's a tough one. No, can't think of anything. :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

I would have thought that when you start a cold engine (especially when the ambient temperature is low) it would take the oil a few seconds to build up pressure and fully circulate, would that not mean that for those first few seconds crucial parts of your engine are not fully protected?

Maybe with the new modern fully synthetic oils this not the case?
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

Well, it's not like the startup revs the hell out of the engine, is it? It's only a little over tickover, which is usual when starting a cold engine.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

scm wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:19 am Instant increase in RPM on startup? That's just the rich mixture that all petrol engines have used when cold since way back (never heard of a manual choke?). And the cooling system on the engine has been designed for a short warm up period, quite innovative at the time. I think the extra noise is because the vacuum that shuts the valves hasn't buit up.
Except it doesn’t happen with the stop start.

Only thing I dislike is the amount of brake dust build up, minor considering the positives.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Only thing I dislike is not being able to get out more in it.
scm

Post by scm »

TopCat wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:47 pm Except it doesn’t happen with the stop start.
But the engine is warm, you'll probably be in D or S (which quietens the exhaust noise immediatley after startup anyway) and there'll be residual vacuum available if you haven't stopped for a long time?

I agree about the brake dust, and the lack of time to drive! ;)
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

scm wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:01 pm
TopCat wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:47 pm Except it doesn’t happen with the stop start.
But the engine is warm, you'll probably be in D or S (which quietens the exhaust noise immediatley after startup anyway) and there'll be residual vacuum available if you haven't stopped for a long time?
Don’t know about the residual vacuum, tend to turn stop start off and only notice the difference when I forget to turn stop start off.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

Oh yes, I forgot about the brake dust, especially on gloss black rims!
scm

Post by scm »

TopCat wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm Don’t know about the residual vacuum, tend to turn stop start off and only notice the difference when I forget to turn stop start off.
We have that in common, too! ;)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post