Things You Did'nt know about your F-Type

Anything F-Type related......
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I saw this once but cannot find where, I don't know if A) it works or B) does or shows anything useful or C) it breaks anything so try at your own peril. I haven't!

Turn ignition on. Don't start the engine.
Wait for infotainment to boot up fully.
Go into media and select FM radio.
There should be a "Source" button on the touchscreen.
Hold down the source button for many seconds and eventually a hidden menu will appear.

Who is willing to try it then!!!?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

simpleR wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 pm I saw this once but cannot find where, I don't know if A) it works or B) does or shows anything useful or C) it breaks anything so try at your own peril. I haven't!

Turn ignition on. Don't start the engine.
Wait for infotainment to boot up fully.
Go into media and select FM radio.
There should be a "Source" button on the touchscreen.
Hold down the source button for many seconds and eventually a hidden menu will appear.

Who is willing to try it then!!!?
I think that is/was the method to find the software version for non-Pro ICT.
It also shows many other things that nobody has a clue about what they mean.
:D
davidd

Post by davidd »

I've just done it, I can tell you that my ip address is 192.168.1.5 ;) Nothing actually very interesting there though and nothing I could change.
sebby1990

Post by sebby1990 »

I love this kind of trivia.

F-Types, like other Jaguars, have an emergency pull handle in the boot. They glow in the dark. Given how tiny the boot is on a convertible, it seems a little unnecessary.

If you hold the lock/unlock button on your key fob, your Jaguar will drop/raise its windows. Convertibles don't lower/raise the roof unfortunately.

You can go into the settings to activate the paddles in both D and S, rather than just S.

Holding the right paddle when in manual mode will revert back to automatic (in both D and S).

F-Types don't "remember" if you set the active exhaust, so when you kill the ignition, the active exhaust switch resets. However, the car "remembers" if you put it in Dynamic mode for about 3 hours after shutdown, which is an easy way to keep the noise going when you're regularly stopping/starting.

The central vents have two steps - the first "unlocks" the vent, the second pushes/lowers it. The motor powering the second is the most likely to fail, so even if your vents get stuck, you can manhandle them into one of the locked positions and it'll function as normal. Particularly important if your vents fail to open and you end up blowing air all over the inside of your centre console.

Unintuitively, the single wipe is activated by pulling the wiper stalk forwards (i.e. what is windscreen wash on every other car). The windscreen wash is activated with the button on the end of the stalk, and the F-Type is unusual in that the washer jets are located within the wiper housing. It also means that if you have your driver window open, all the abscess pisses out onto the door card.
Jaguar F-Type V8S, Mercedes-Benz ML63, Subaru Impreza WRX, Mini Cooper
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

sebby1990 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 am F-Types don't "remember" if you set the active exhaust, so when you kill the ignition, the active exhaust switch resets. However, the car "remembers" if you put it in Dynamic mode for about 3 hours after shutdown, which is an easy way to keep the noise going when you're regularly stopping/starting.
Not anymore. All MY18 and later it forgets dynamic mode as soon as you switch off. I think it was campaign H167 from memory.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

simpleR wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:06 amAll MY18 and later it forgets dynamic mode as soon as you switch off. I think it was campaign H167 from memory.
Not quite. it remembers dymanic mode because if you switch the ignition on (foot off brake) within the 6 hours the ambient lights still show red, but then it cancels when you start the engine.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scm

Post by scm »

sebby1990 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 am If you hold the lock/unlock button on your key fob, your Jaguar will drop/raise its windows
Only if you/'ve configured them to do so in the settings ... ;)
Unintuitively, the single wipe is activated by pulling the wiper stalk forwards (i.e. what is windscreen wash on every other car). The windscreen wash is activated with the button on the end of the stalk, and the F-Type is unusual in that the washer jets are located within the wiper housing. It also means that if you have your driver window open, all the abscess pisses out onto the door card.
Unintuitively? Every Jaguar I've had works the same way, which I find very intuitive. And having the washer jets in the wiper housing is far more sensible since it squirts the fluid on the glass just before the blades get there (you have noticed it only squirts on the upstroke?) - how many times have you followed a car that's attempting to wash its windscreen but instead showers the following vehicle? Not to mention soaking the occupants of a convertible with the top down. :)

I also find the single wipe without wasting washer fluid very useful.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

There's a thing called the manual.
It normally comes with the car or it's available online.
It's full of many wonderful and interesting things about how the car works.

It seems a few people don't know that about the F-Type.
scm

Post by scm »

PhilB wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:10 am There's a thing called the manual.
It normally comes with the car or it's available online.
It's full of many wonderful and interesting things about how the car works.
Or, in the case of the 6 hour dymanic mode window, used to work. ;)
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

scm wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:13 am Or, in the case of the 6 hour dymanic mode window, used to work. ;)
Ah yes.
The dreaded updates that can change things.
That's what forums are for.
Good news is that the 2019 onwards manuals now show the drive modes being binned at every switch-off.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post