Anyone help with Battery Reconditioning

Anything F-Type related......
JFA

Post by JFA »

My 3 year old battery is fine, but the stop/start only works in warm weather and I am guessing it is the battery getting a bit tired. I got my Mum a CTEK MXS 5.0 for her old Focus and thought I would give it a go on my SVR. The car manual says I have to disconnect the battery to charge it, but I don't really want to do this. Mum's charges through the fag lighter, which is permanently on in a Focus, but it switches off in the Jag.

So, in short, can anyone advise whether I can use the CTEK to recondition my battery without disconnecting it. Is it safe to hook it up whilst still connected? Has anyone else done this? I only have the one battery.

No big deal on this one, I quite often turn the stop/start off anyway! But I like things to work.
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!

scm

Post by scm »

I charge mine while it's connected - no problems so far. And I did for my previous XKR over 5 years, also without issue. Apparently (though I haven't tried it) you can charge it via the boost terminals under the bonnet if you don't want to rip up the boot covers ....
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I leave a ctek connected (using the hard wire connection instructions posted by 'BigBri' on here) during the depths winter when my F type isn't getting used much. As a result the starts stop has pretty much never failed to operate.

The stop start on our XE is very temperamental as the battery isn't man enough for the job. It usually lasts about 3-4 months between Ctek boosts, this time using the under bonnet connections. Never used the 'regen' option, just normal recharging. This way of connecting seems to work just fine.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
JFA

Post by JFA »

Thanks both - hooked up to the battery this weekend and no smoke came out! Battery now showing much better charge. I'll see how long the stop/start works!
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!
RagtopRoadster

Post by RagtopRoadster »

This might help. Take a look.

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co. ... dacid.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Out of interest how did you connect?

Under bonnet boost points / direct on battery terminals / car leads removed from terminal/s?
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
JFA

Post by JFA »

I just clipped them directly onto the battery terminals. Stop/start is working great now - although I will probably switch it off after the novelty ends!
ml276

Post by ml276 »

Hello!

Didn't want to derail the handy tools thread (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4020) more than I already have :/

Apologies for the incoming stupid questions – please dumb down answers as best as you can :D. I've just received the CTEK MXS 5.0 - do I just connect the alligator clips to the battery terminals in the boot? (read here about doing it under the bonnet too?); do you select the option on the CTEK with the car AGM & recon mode?

No garage so gonna have to risk it overnight on the driveway depending on what BBC weather is saying :roll:. Also, can you leave the body of the charger in the boot or is it recommended to be outside?

Thanks for your continued help & support ;)

80647964_496243181017064_5982611649138262016_n.jpg

MY16 V6S Coupe Corris Grey
scm

Post by scm »

I connect mine to the positive busbar on the floor of the boot, and the stud where the battery negative lead is attached to the car. Like you, I have no garage, so I leave the CTEK in the boot (on the metal floor, having removed the cubby panel) and trail my 10ft extension cable out of the boot, which can be shut with the lead "trapped". The extension socket is in the boot, so nice and waterproof, only the cable gets wet if it rains. I've done it this way for the past 12 years with my previous Jags and have had no issues.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ml276

Post by ml276 »

scm wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:49 pm I connect mine to the positive busbar on the floor of the boot, and the stud where the battery negative lead is attached to the car. Like you, I have no garage, so I leave the CTEK in the boot (on the metal floor, having removed the cubby panel) and trail my 10ft extension cable out of the boot, which can be shut with the lead "trapped". The extension socket is in the boot, so nice and waterproof, only the cable gets wet if it rains. I've done it this way for the past 12 years with my previous Jags and have had no issues.
ah this is sounding more complicated than i expected :lol:. is that the reccomended way to do it? vs directly on battery

how do you get to the busbar? is it just a matter at pulling away at trim? have you got any pics of the setup by any chance

fortunately we have a plug socket on a wall outside the house so i can reverse up to it and that aspect of things should be fine.
MY16 V6S Coupe Corris Grey

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post