Slow speed squeak

Anything F-Type related......
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

I have a high pitched squeak when travelling at slow speeds (10 - 30mph approx). It’s tricky to know exactly where it’s coming from, but seems more from the front than the rear. It only occurs when the engine has warmed up and I’ve been on the road for over, say, 50 miles. I never notice it on short trips. As soon as I touch the brakes the noise stops. I’ve tried braking hard to ‘clean’ the discs and have driven in wet weather with no change. It’s not a massive issue but it is a niggle. Anyone any ideas?
BRG V6 with 20 inch alloys and the Exhaust switch!

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

As the noise stops when the brakes are engaged, it could be either the pads are sticking a tiny bit on caliper pins, or they are just resonating against the disc slightly. Usually a bit of copper grease applied to the back of the pads (which stops them resonating), cures it and the calipers/pins can have any clogged up brake dust cleaned off at the same time.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Tel

Post by Tel »

Are they original pads and discs?

May be a stone, but normally sounds like a grind as opposed to a squeak....
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Rivendell

Post by Rivendell »

Thank you. It’s definitely not a stone (had that on a previous car). The copper grease idea sounds good. I’ll give it a go (or, more accurately, ask the garage to when it’s serviced) The car has only done 5K and everything is factory fit.
BRG V6 with 20 inch alloys and the Exhaust switch!
scm

Post by scm »

Probably not your issue but I recently had a screeching from the front right when I applied left lock. Turned out that one of the Torx bolts that holds the brake shield had started to unscrew itself and was rubbing on the back of the disc, worse when left lock was applied due to flexing in the system. My local independent diagnosed the problem, applied thread lock on all three bolts, did a bit of grinding on the affected part of the disc and all is well again.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post