V8 or SVR

Anything F-Type related......
captain_28

Post by captain_28 »

Hi All,

Sold my high spec. MY2013 Firesand V6S with only 7k on the clock at the start of the year and regretting it ever since!!

So I am looking to get back on the scene again early next year and want to upgrade to a newer model and the V8 AWD version. Having looked at the current market has got me wondering whether to get a newer V8 or get a slightly older SVR as they are both around the same price bracket that I am looking to spend. Car will be for dry weekend occasional use only if that helps.

Any thoughts or comments on if the SVR is 'worth' the extra over a V8 would be greatly appreciated. TIA

steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

The SVR is an exclusive model, with the modded bodywork, lighter exhaust & suspension system. 25 h.p more. Depends on you really. I have the AWD V8 cab & love it. Maybe if funds permitted I would have gone for the SVR to be extra flash. Also think about resale in the future, would the SVR hold a better residual or not. Sure plenty will be along shortly to advise you. Good luck with either model you go for.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

I agree with Stevie on resale value, but that said both are fantastic cars so it’s just down to personal taste and budget.

The SVR was not available in the IRR colour I wanted so that made up my mind for me, that said if I’d spotted an SVR with a good deal at the time I might have been very tempted as it’s also stunning.

But my V8 AWD R has been a fantastic car for 3 years and the performance still feels astonishing which is unusual for me as I normally get bored with a car after 12 months.

Best advice I can give is to make a wish list of colour and options you want and see what nearest fits the bill and also take both models out for a road test first just to be sure.

Whichever you choose it’ll be a fantastic car that you’ll cherish for a long time,

Kind regards,

Steve
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

I agree with both the comments above. What MY would you be looking at if it was an SVR, vs what MY for the V8R AWD?

Depending on years there are changes to infotainment systems and a few bumper tweaks etc so that might be worth considering

Performance wise I don’t think you’ll notice the 25hp difference, looks is a personal choice

Let’s be honest - you can’t really pick the wrong one!
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Changed my V8 R MY2014 for an SVR MY2018 at the start of this year.

Loved the older V8 - especially the colour (IRR). Performance was also frightening. But I can tell the difference with the SVR - feels more assured and off the line it's astonishing.

Also like the look of the SVR with the spoiler on show.

That being said again it's personal choice - i would go the extra mile and have an SVR.

as for residuals - I lost 16K on the V8 over 2 years and I got the SVR in January and reckon i have already lost 8K - but of course i had both cars knowing this and if that was an issue i would not have one.
captain_28

Post by captain_28 »

Thanks for the replies so far.

Would be looking at a MY 2016/17 for the SVR vs. 2018 V8 AWD R so will need to factor in the points raised about infortainment and facelifts too. Colour wise I am torn between the Blue and Grey but must admit the fix wing on the back is a big plus for me. I would be looking at the coupe models for both variants as my previous V6 S was a convertible so would want something different and personally I prefer the SVR looks on the coupe over the convertibles.

Will make a list of items that are important to me again and then start the searching in the coming months. Will try and get test drives in both to see what feels better to me and then weigh up the older models vs newer versions.

Didn't think about resale value so thanks for that point too.

At the end of the day there isn't really a wrong answer is there :D
Tel

Post by Tel »

Just to add another totally unbiased view ;-)

Save a Bob or two; Look for a Coupé V8S or R from around MY15-17.
They were made in 2 WD which s the drivers choice. A lot lighter and a lot less understeer than the 4x4's.
The difference between a V8S and SVR is hardly noticeable (been there, done that.)

Apart form the Project 7, they are the next 'least made' (and more desirable) variants before the namby pampy yanks started moaning that they couldn't drive a RWD car around corner without crashing and the 4x4 thing happened!

Just a thought...
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

captain_28 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:32 pm... but must admit the fix wing on the back is a big plus for me.
If you get lucky like I did, you can find V8 Rs with a fixed spoiler, though not one as aggressive as the SVR.

ov17vwy-05.jpg

MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Arne

Post by Arne »

I am a lucky owner of a MY15 rwd R (since 2015), so I am probabely not unbiased either 😉 But I have driven the awd R (both on track and road), and I am very happy that I have a rwd R. As Tel says, the rwd R is lighter than an SVR (it is even lighter than an awd V6), and the esp system has a way less intrusive set up than what it is in the awd R. The result is (for me) a very fun car to drive at any speeds, where the systems allow for more "action" before it kicks in and "spoils the fun".

Offcourse both the more intrusive esp system and awd will help you more in staying out of trouble, but so will your mother or nanny - and I don't want anyone of then around when I am out having some fun.... 😄
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I’d take the older SVR any day. Give it 2 or 3 years then nobody talks about a 2016 or 2018, but condition mileage, spec and of course the halo model
SVR’s taken it’s big depreciation and a newer V8 still has it to go
Unbiased as I don’t own either :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more