To extend the warranty?

Anything F-Type related......
greg_rovers

Post by greg_rovers »

Hi All,

I’m not sure if there has been another thread on this subject, had a quick search and couldn’t see anything.

The 2 year warranty I received when I bought my car second hand is due to expire in early February. I called jag today and they quoted me £1,050 to extend for a year excluding breakdown cover.

My car is a 2014 V6 Coupe with just under 25k miles. I’m think of doing it for peace of mind.

Has anyone else made the same decision recently? If so was it worth it / did you regret it?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Greg

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Hi Greg, me very one will have a different opinion on this and it’ll be based off past experience as well

My view is that the majority of the issues on an Ftype are *mostly* under £1k to fix - so if you had one and no warranty, you’d still be quids in.
On the other hand, anything major is easily over £1k so if you get some bad luck then the warranty would pay for itself

I’m my head if my cars serviced, low mileage and I look after it, I don’t bother with a warranty and take the risk
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello Greg,

Same thought process as David ☝️

My Approved Used warranty expired in May. Did consider extending but decided to keep money in my bank account until, or not, needed.

Just nudged 20k. Have it serviced annually. It’s garaged all year & only out on sunny weekends. I also have a light right foot, aside the occasional rush of blood 😄

I expect odd things to crop up & hope/pray to swerve anything too nasty 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Never purchased one in my life
Policy fee is just the average costs of repairs plus all the insurance company costs, sales commissions and profit, So on average you lose out

As above most repairs are reasonable and don’t forget the stuff you expect covered is usually excluded..

Regardless if you sleep better buy one
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

It’s always a gamble and it depends on the car, I took out an extended warranty on a 2 year old V8 Jeep GC and it was a godsend. It cost £600 and covered a new air suspension unit, steering column, transfer box, engine mounts and several other minor problems. Would have cost me around £7-8k without.

Jag should be far more reliable though!

PS. Also had an engine blow on a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, total bill came to £13k and no warranty! Thankfully Porsche paid all but £200 for consumables as a goodwill payment on my 6 year old car as it was low mileage and had full Porsche service history
NCC

Post by NCC »

I have a slightly different view, based on JLR products. My daughters RRS, 5l V8, has had gearbox issues. 4 years old and out of warranty. The bill is in 5 figures.

I feel the F-Type is probably a little less likely to ring up a bill like the one above but personally, I’ll be extending once I’m out of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY2020 V6S RWD auto, Indus Silver, Pimento performance seats, Ebony suedecloth, Exterior carbon pack, Black 5039 alloys, Interior black pack, carbon console, heated steering wheel (vital!), climate pack, c/f dynamics, pointless ambient lighting!
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Have you looked at a combination of a warranty and service plan ? Mine expiring in 2021 and JLR advised a service plan + warrenty.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Angusweir

Post by Angusweir »

I always consider a few things when deciding on a service plan / insurance. As has been said, on average you will lose out as the insurance company has to make money. So the core question is - can you afford to find the most likely cost of any repair? If you keep the car over a number of years and pay for the warranty each year you will almost certainly spend more on warranty than on repairs - but if you couldn't find the repair fee in a hurry, then the warranty is good value.

As an example I never insure my PC - if it breaks beyond repair I can afford to go and buy another one. I always insure my house - if it burns down I can't afford to go and buy another one.

The only additional thing to consider is that insurance is based on averages - are you at higher risk than average? I saw a program on TV a few years back and someone was talking about insuring their mobile phone. They were super careful with their phone so didn't bother - their mate was incredibly careless, but the premium was the same so it was worth it for his mate but not for himself.

Having said all of that - peace of mind is worth a lot :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post