Reliable Pricing Info - Where's Best?

Anything F-Type related......
a_kerr

Post by a_kerr »

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a V8R convertible, approx. 18 months old (give or take). I've been looking at the same cars for some time now at various dealers, and there's car out there, but not a lot moving. I'm getting a little frustrated at the dealers reluctance to haggle, and the answer is always the same - "It's already competitively priced". That's obviously their view, but it's difficult to argue against unless I have credible pricing data available to me?

Regardless of what any dealer or book price says, my experience tells me that if a car is a reasonable spec, in reasonable condition, it will sell for a reasonable price. If it remains unsold for a significant period of time, then quite simply the price isn't right (or at least that's my logic).

I'm also considering buying from auction, as that's where a lot of the ex JLR cars pass through anyway?

Where would people recommend I get reliable information on retail prices that would also hold some credibility if used as a bargaining tool with a dealer? Auction guide prices would also be great, if available?

Thank in advance for any help or guidance offered.

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Surely on any specific car in a dealers it's up to them how much they want to sell it for and if they will even discuss discount. If they are not short on sales targets for the period then they won't negotiate. Pretty much irrelevant what you say

I would just look on Autotrader and find comparables, assuming that on all the actual sale achieved will be a little less than asking

I'd also look on Car wow to see the prices of a from stock new as with run out you may be surprised
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
a_kerr

Post by a_kerr »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:56 am Surely on any specific car in a dealers it's up to them how much they want to sell it for and if they will even discuss discount.
I absolutely agree it's the dealers cars to do with as they please, I just find it both tiresome and frustrating when they try and suggested they're already being more than reasonable (and I'm not for having the cheek to suggest a cash discount, which I'm sure I'm not!).
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Don’t forget that cash (as in no finance arranged by the dealer) is a disincentive or at least of no benefit.
They’d rather take the commission on the finance as well and often suggest you do and pay it off quickly

I was also in a JLR dealer recently and they advised all prices were set at their group level. No discount no negotiation all to avoid the haggling process. I read it as a way to stop discounts locally, but do prefer to haggle a bit
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

I went to an auction to bid on an F Type R and was amazed to see if go for similar money to a private or even dealer sale. When you consider this risks this was not a route I persued.
I looked for a few months and plotted on a graph based on year, price and mileage and an average line, any cars below the line were better value than those above. Maybe you could use this with the dealers but when I bought mine they already knew all the prices of the other cars up for sale so they also had done their homework.
Don't forget to factor in the extras you want in the decision making

f type.JPG

2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Another option is not to haggle on the asking price but to ask for additional items to be included in the deal such as next years service etc. This costs less to the dealer than it would cost you and can be better on their sales sheet as well.

Hope you find the right car
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

From past experience and having kept an eye on prices in the last 16 months, I have noticed that in january and February, prices were lower than other months for similar or the same car,
MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
djtex

Post by djtex »

I’ve literally just bought an R Coupe, took delivery on Saturday. Like others I found there was zero wiggle room on the price as I wasn’t taking their finance, but they told me prices were set centrally and there was nothing that could be done. It didn’t help that they knew it was the exact spec I wanted and was willing to travel right across the country for it.

I did manage to get a free dog bed though, so not all was lost. 😂😂😂😂

For me without wanting to sound like a pompous arse, I was willing to pay whatever it took once I found the right car. If you’re flexible on spec and could find a couple that ticked all the boxes at the same time, it might give you more bargaining power.

Anyway, I’m thrilled with mine, good luck with your search. 😀
MY18 V8 Coupe R, British Racing Green, Panoramic Roof, Climate Pack 2, Black Pack, Meridian Surround
scm

Post by scm »

djtex wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:05 pm For me without wanting to sound like a pompous arse, I was willing to pay whatever it took once I found the right car.
That's not being pompous, that's a sensible attitude! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

I was watching for about 4 months, the car I have became my reference, looked at a few others closer to home, but cheaper nearly always meant a compromise, from bad fitting front bumper, or respray work seen through orange peeled areas, I had to haggle hard on this one as the salesman knew it was mint and the only "discount" they would eventually do was to Tax it for me.

Again cash does not help, and I used the 7 day insurance too. But it was the spec I wanted, and no others appealed as much, so wasn't prepared to try the walk away and see if they ring me. Since all I had on my list have now gone, except the one with the dodgy fitting front bumper.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post