Car started itself

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

RPSN wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:31 am I was sitting in the car for about 15 minutes listening to some music whilst the missus was shopping. The ignition was off but all of a sudden the car started without me touching the ignition button? Is this normal or is this also a case of calling into my Jaguar main dealership for them to deregister the account associated with my car from the previous owner?
Was your car locked when you were sitting in it? AIUI, the remote start feature should only work if the car is locked.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

scm wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:47 am
RPSN wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:31 am I was sitting in the car for about 15 minutes listening to some music whilst the missus was shopping. The ignition was off but all of a sudden the car started without me touching the ignition button? Is this normal or is this also a case of calling into my Jaguar main dealership for them to deregister the account associated with my car from the previous owner?
Was your car locked when you were sitting in it? AIUI, the remote start feature should only work if the car is locked.
You sure that wasn't stop/start kicking in. The head unit shuts down after about 10min to converse battery....
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Michaelw: You’re right there......just spoke to my Jaguar main dealer about it and I will have to take my V5 registration document and driving licence to them so they can check if the InControl App is registered in the previous owner’s name. If it is, they will deregister it.

scm: My car wasn’t locked when I was sitting in it but the engine started without me pressing the ignition button?

simpleR: I wouldn't have thought that it was the stop/start kicking in as I was parked up for about 15 minutes in the shopping centre car park, listening to music whilst the missus was in the shop? The only thing I had to do was power up the radio after it shutting down (power management). Are you saying that the stop/start kicked in to re-energize the battery because of this? If so, there must be a very poor quality battery on the F-Type considering it's 90Ah and a lump of a thing!

F-Type battery.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Also, the battery was fully charged as I use the CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep it healthy.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Your engine starting via in control is not something done by accident. You go in the app, navigate past the map screen onto remote start page, enter a 4 digit pin then engage the start button.

If your car is being started by a previous owner chances are they’re playing silly beggars with you. Take your car into jag and get sorted ASAP. They will also be able to see where you’re driving it, parking it and how much fuel is in your car.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
scm

Post by scm »

Elementad wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 pm Your engine starting via in control is not something done by accident. You go in the app, navigate past the map screen onto remote start page, enter a 4 digit pin then engage the start button.
But the car has to be locked or the remote start won't work. and the OP was in the unlocked car when it started. The mystery deepens.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

scm wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 pm
Elementad wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 pm Your engine starting via in control is not something done by accident. You go in the app, navigate past the map screen onto remote start page, enter a 4 digit pin then engage the start button.
But the car has to be locked or the remote start won't work. and the OP was in the unlocked car when it started. The mystery deepens.
The OP (Michaelw) wasn’t in car but the more recent poster RPSN was.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Elementad wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:20 pm
scm wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 pm
The OP (Michaelw) wasn’t in car but the more recent poster RPSN was.
My mobile phone is ancient and it doesn’t even know what an App is, so there’s no chance of me starting the car that way by accident.
I was sitting in my parked, unlocked car listening to the radio at the time the engine started by itself.

I noticed there’s an option on the infotainment system to delete all personal data. I thought about doing this a few weeks after I bought the used car from a dealer but I decided to leave it as it is. Since purchasing the car, the only personal data I've added is the pairing up of two phones. Perhaps I should delete all personal data to see if this cures the problem......what do you think?

I’ll be going into my Jaguar main dealership this week with my V5 and driving licence to check if the InControl App is registered in the previous owner’s name. If it is, they will deregister it.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

RPSN wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:31 am I was sitting in the car for about 15 minutes listening to some music whilst the missus was shopping. The ignition was off but all of a sudden the car started without me touching the ignition button?
Probably it has to do with a low voltage of your car battery. Does your car has the automated start/stop option ?
Since you did not 'lock' the car and you were near with the key, it just helped you to keep the radio on.. :lol:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:14 pm
RPSN wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:31 am I was sitting in the car for about 15 minutes listening to some music whilst the missus was shopping. The ignition was off but all of a sudden the car started without me touching the ignition button?
Probably it has to do with a low voltage of your car battery. Does your car has the automated start/stop option ?
Since you did not 'lock' the car and you were near with the key, it just helped you to keep the radio on.. :lol:
I have the CTEK comfort indicator installed in the car boot which shows the battery as healthy. I have the automated start/stop option which I can override if required. I didn't lock the car as I was sitting inside it at the time.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid