Car started itself

Anything F-Type related......
Michaelw

Post by Michaelw »

I have just had the strangest thing happen. I was sitting in the lounge when I heard the F Type startup, I quickly looked out the window there was nobody about and the car was still locked but I could see steam coming from the exhaust so it was definitely running, I grabbed the keys and went outside, by the time I got there the engine had switched off.
Has anybody heard of this happening before or have any ideas how this could happen?

Thank
Michael

captainham

Post by captainham »

Did you buy it 2nd-hand? I'm wondering if the previous owner still has access via the InControl app, if so you'll want to get that reset pronto!
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

What’s the process for getting previous owner taken off / de registered?

My friend has a Range Rover with similar issue but after calls to dealer they are stumped....
Michaelw

Post by Michaelw »

Yes I bought it secondhand in February this year. Do you know how I can check the InControl app?
PBV6

Post by PBV6 »

You need to take it into jaguar with your V5 and driving license, they will deregister the account associated to your car (they need your VIN number and proof of purchase hence the V5) from the previous owner, they will then set it up on your in control app. I had this done 2 weeks ago. Its free of charge and is done within 15 minutes. Any main jaguar dealership will do this for you as they have access to the system.
2018 Jaguar F Type R-Dynamic P340
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
scm

Post by scm »

Michaelw wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:05 pm Yes I bought it secondhand in February this year. Do you know how I can check the InControl app?
Have you actually used the Jaguar Remote app?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ayrejc

Post by ayrejc »

I did the same. Collected yesterday and went straight to jag dealer showed them proof of purchase and id and reset the ownership, went outside to car for 1 min and hey presto. Remote app shows mileage, location, security status and allows unlock and starting climate control remotely if youveant
MY18 F Type 400 Sport Coupe RWD Satin Chrome Orange
scm

Post by scm »

ayrejc wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:15 pmRemote app shows mileage, location, security status and allows unlock and starting climate control remotely ...
And journeys if you've set that up. I'm finding remote start very handy now that it's got colder. The only annoying thing about it is that when you get to the car you have to unlock it before opening the boot - if you open the boot with the door(s) still locked the engine stops. First world problems, eh? ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I’ve had a similar issue a couple of times with my 2016 F-Type.

I was sitting in the car for about 15 minutes listening to some music whilst the missus was shopping. The ignition was off but all of a sudden the car started without me touching the ignition button? Is this normal or is this also a case of calling into my Jaguar main dealership for them to deregister the account associated with my car from the previous owner?

Only a few months ago I contacted Jaguar UK customer services about a different issue with my car and as their system didn’t have my details registered they updated them over the telephone.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Michaelw

Post by Michaelw »

I phoned my local dealer but their system was down so would not be able to do it. I phoned another dealer and they said they could do it if I took the car in. I wanted to get this sorted as soon as possible so took it to them, they confirmed it was still in the previous owners name and registered to me, quick and easy just need your V5 and driving licence for ID.

Thanks everybody for your advice

RPSN I don't think they can reset this over the phone as they need to go to the car to finish the setup. I think it would be worth you taking your car and documents to a dealer and get them to check.