‘CLUNK’ noise / 'Lurch' when engaging the F-Type auto transmission in reverse or drive.

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Does anyone get the ‘CLUNK’ noise / 'Lurch' when engaging the F-Type automatic transmission in reverse or drive? This is very noticeable on my own F-Type.

I have found the following information from the Jaguar F-Type workshop manual which explains the symptom, possible causes and actions.

CLUNK:

Clunk is a metallic noise heard when the automatic transmission is engaged in REVERSE or DRIVE. The noise may also occur when the throttle is applied or released. Clunk is caused by transmission calibration, backlash in the driveline or loose suspension components and is felt or heard in the vicinity of the rear drive axle.

Symptom: Loud clunk in the driveline when shifting from reverse to forward.

(a) Possible cause: Transmission calibration / Action: Using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system, re-configure the transmission control module with the latest available calibration.

(b) Possible cause: Transmission mount / Action: Inspect and install new transmission mounts as required.

(c) Possible cause: Transmission / Action: For additional transmission information, REFER to: Diagnostics - V6 S/C (307-01A Automatic 3.0L Petrol Transmission/Transaxle - V6 S/C 3.0L Petrol, Diagnosis and Testing).

(d) Possible cause: Suspension components / Action: Inspect and install new suspension components as required.

(e) Possible cause: Backlash in the driveline / Action: Inspect and install new driveline components as required.

(f) Possible cause: Engine idle speed set too high / Action: Check and adjust the idle speed as required.

(g) Possible cause: Engine mount / Action: Inspect and install new engine mounts as required.

Think I remember reading that some F-Type owners who had the same fault with their vehicle (clunk when engaging automatic transmission) found that it was the transmission calibration (see point 'a' above). This was rectified by using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system to re-configure the transmission control module with the latest available calibration. This is otherwise known as a transmission control module reflash.

Has anyone had this done on their F-Type and is there a Jaguar SSM bulletin on the transmission control module latest calibration?

Thanks
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

lewihoga

Post by lewihoga »

Also interested in this!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I’ve found this TOPIx Jaguar technical bulletin JTB00498NAS1 which refers to a harsh gear engagement - park-to-drive and/or neutral-to-drive (see attached file).

This applies to the 2016-2017 Jaguar F-Type (X152) V6 S/C 3.0 petrol vehicles (VIN numbers K22185 - K38972) with 8HP70 8- Speed Automatic Transmission AWD / 8HP70 8- Speed Automatic Transmission RWD / 8HP45 8- Speed Automatic Transmission RWD.

It says the Jaguar Land Rover-approved diagnostic tool with latest DVD and Calibration File is to be used and the fault is rectified by reprogramming the existing transmission control module.
Jaguar F-TypeTechnical Bulletin JTB00498NAS1.pdf
(102.23 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Last edited by RPSN on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I don’t think it is normal for the F-Type to have a loud ‘Clunk’ which you can feel through the vehicle when engaging the automatic transmission in reverse or drive whilst it's on a horizontal surface?

As you have to depress the brake pedal when engaging the auto transmission the ‘CLUNK’ puts out so much force that I can sometimes hear the brakes/suspension creaking as they hold against it!

I will contact Jaguar about this and show them the TOPIx Jaguar technical bulletin JTB00498NAS1 as this applies to my 2016 V6 S.
Last edited by RPSN on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

RSPN, do you wait for the engine speed to drop to normal idling speed after starting up? My car engages 1st or reverse gear smoothly only at normal idle speed. If I engage gear at the faster engine "warm up" speed it goes in with a clunk, so I always wait until the engine speed drops after start up.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Yes, I always wait for the engine idling speed to drop to normal after starting up and I still get the 'CLUNK'?

My car should be engaging smoothly.....as yours does.

After reading the TOPIx Jaguar technical bulletin JTB00498NAS1 which refers to a harsh gear engagement, I would say this may well be the way to rectify the problem......i.e. by using the Jaguar Land Rover-approved diagnostic tool with latest DVD and Calibration File to reprogram the existing transmission control module (otherwise known as a transmission control module reflash).

The Jaguar bulletin applies to my specific F-Type model (2016 V6 S with 8HP70 8- Speed Automatic Transmission RWD) and my VIN number is within the range.
Jaguar F-TypeTechnical Bulletin JTB00498NAS1.pdf
(102.23 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

RPSN, after reading the bulletin, and especially as your VIN falls in to the given range, it seems the likely problem. Hopefully after the re-calibration (which will be a reasonably simple fix, without any major strip down work) the gear selection will be smooth. Good luck.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Yes, hopefully the reprogramming of the transmission control module (reflash) will cure the problem.

The work involves a simple diagnostic and reprogram which, according to the Jaguar bulletin, should take 0.20 hours.

Thanks
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

RSPN,

Your query which, as you point out, was diverging from the original topic, viewtopic.php?p=53202#p53196, is probably better answered here. Since having diff oil changed 8 months ago at 29k miles, I've got into the habit of waiting for the revs to drop before engaging the transmission and no longer experience the clunk/lurch. Having seen your question, I've just gone out and started the car, immediately engaged Reverse, without waiting, and encountered a very slight lurch. However, this was not really noticeable unless I'd been specifically looking for it and certainly not enough to worry me. When the car is cold and I wait for the revs to drop there is currently no lurch.

For your information, I haven't (to my knowledge) had the software update done. Changing the diff oil made a big difference and, having also read of diff problems in the V6S, from now on i intend to have the diff oil changed at every service as a precaution. The cost of this is minuscule in the grand scheme of things so I think you're right to be thinking of doing the same. With lockdown I've only done 3.5k miles since the change so it remains to be seen if it recurs over time.

I hope this answers your question.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@NavigatorNI

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it’s better to wait for the revs to drop after start-up before engaging the transmission.

Good to know that you’re no longer experiencing the clunk/lurch on your car (even with a cold engine and low revs) after having the rear diff oil renewed. Hopefully this won't reoccur as you intend to have the diff oil changed at every service.

I tested my car yesterday.......started it up and waited a few seconds for the revs to drop. There is definitely what is best described as a ‘lurch’ (no clunk noise) when engaging drive or reverse, which is more noticeable when the engine is cold.

Immediately after engaging the transmission, it gives a very slight lurch followed soon after with a more forceful lurch which surges the car forward (in drive) or backwards (in reverse). As my foot is kept on the brake pedal, the car cannot surge too far forward or backwards.

The above symptom and cause is described in the Jaguar Technical Bulletin I provided earlier in this topic......

“CONDITION SUMMARY:”

“Situation: A harsh gear engagement -- park-to-drive and/or neutral-to-drive -- may be evident when the vehicle is cold (below 68°F / 20°C).”

“Cause: This may be caused by an engagement issue due to the current engagement strategy taking too long.”

I had the rear diff oil changed by my Jag main dealer approx 15 months ago (just over 3000 miles) due to a pinion seal leak. I also had the 'Transmission Control Module' software updated because of the ’clunk/lurch’ when engaging the transmission. This seemed to cure the issue for a while but I’ve noticed the ‘lurch’ is there again (more so when the engine is cold).

Because of this, I've recently taken my car back to the Jag main dealer for them to check it over which the Master Technician did and reassured me all is ok. He also came out for a drive with me so that I could show him the issue but as the car had warmed up it wasn’t so noticeable. As well as this, he used a MY21 V8 P450 which was on the forecourt to demonstrate the issue that I’m experiencing and it was similar on that car (engine was cold when tested).

Even so, I'll probably renew the rear diff oil myself within the next few months to see if there's any improvement? After reading about the diff oil issues (as you also have) I’ll be doing this much more regularly than what Jaguar stipulates in their service schedules.

I’m considering going back to the Jag main dealer again and leaving my car with them overnight so they can test it the following morning when the car is cold. I'll also be asking them to double check the ‘Transmission Control Module’ software has been updated correctly?

I found some further information which is relevant.....

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4089&start=20#p40038

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4591
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies