Gearbox re map is it necessary

Anything F-Type related......
Deleted User 2483

Post by Deleted User 2483 »

Speaking to a couple of tuners and one says that a specific gearbox remap would be beneficial, if I tune my V6S. Another well respected tuner says that gearbox torque limits etc will be adjusted automatically when car is tuned as it is all controlled by the ECU. Anybody know which is correct?

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

From what I've read elsewhere only 1st and 2nd are torque limited under normal use.

If you do a full launch control start (Dynamic/Sport/Left foot brake/etc) this overrides the torque limiter for the quickest start.

So as I understand things, if you get an ECU engine map 1st and 2nd would remain torque limited which I guess you'd want to keep to stop the gearbox from chewing it's self to pieces but 3rd and onwards wouldn't be. I think both the tuner statements are correct in their own way.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Deleted User 2483

Post by Deleted User 2483 »

simpleR wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 am From what I've read elsewhere only 1st and 2nd are torque limited under normal use.

If you do a full launch control start (Dynamic/Sport/Left foot brake/etc) this overrides the torque limiter for the quickest start.

So as I understand things, if you get an ECU engine map 1st and 2nd would remain torque limited which I guess you'd want to keep to stop the gearbox from chewing it's self to pieces but 3rd and onwards wouldn't be. I think both the tuner statements are correct in their own way.
Thanks for that, I would go with the second tuner then I guess, as the other is quoting a specific remap as well for gearbox only and that would no doubt be extra. :D
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

No one can map the auto box in our cars....yet, if they say they can walk away.
I believe other manufacturers have had the box's mapped
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Tel

Post by Tel »

I've read lots on the upgrades on the US forums. Can't say I remember any comments regarding gearboxes... Worth a look see.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

Since the gearbox adjusts itself according to how it's driven, why would it need a remap? I'd leave it at what ZF thinks is best for it, they seem to know their own products. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I have read that the ZF 8 speed box is the same as fitted to bmw and other cars but the car manufacturers are responsible for their mapping, not ZF
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

The ZF-box 'learns' from your driving. What is set by the manufacturer are the limits : never this/that.

I know since my D3 had a remap done in 2011. Subsequently I drove hastely [ loved the extra power..]
to the next big town.. ..stopping for a trafficlight. Normally I drive quite sedately so the throttle response
is then a bit 'spongy' .. ..not then ! I pushed the [ usually spongy] throttle that was set agressive then,
resulting in 4 wheel spin overriding the traction control... :?

But the system quickly adjusted to my normal style, which averaged in 8.2 L / 100km in a TdV6 of 2405Kg.
And I always drive quick, too fast but just below the fine-line... Never thrash an engine, always let it warm
up gently before asking POWERRRRR... :mrgreen:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I’m with Dan in this that the box learns.
Extreme is how my Evoque changes in minutes when I tag 2 tonnes on the rear and tow it. Seems it moves slow to start with but quickly changes the entire revs and change points. From then it is an amazing tow car
Can’t see how a remap would be better if it could even be done.

I’d have concerns on the F type if you went outside the parameters of the manufacturer. For sure they have tolerances but with more engine power going in and tolerances reduced I’d worry about box, prop and and diff
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Snuf

Post by Snuf »

This is what BMW SAYS
BMW is quick to point out that while it shares its eight-speed ZF automatic transmission with some rivals – notably Jaguar – the company says that ZF leaves a certain amount of room for development when it comes to software. As such, BMW says the transmission in a 3-series behaves very differently from that of its rivals.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post