Where is fuse 43? - Active Exhaust

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

scz4 wrote: ↑Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 am Can you see the valves when looking into the exhaust tips to confirm?
You can on the V8, but I think on the V6 they're on the other side of the back box.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

Glen B

Post by Glen B »

Just joined and new to this forum. I live in California, and have had my V8-S since Dec. 2013.
I'm having a bit of the other problem with noise. My local track, Laguna Seca has a noise limit of 90db. Normal sound readings with active exhaust switch off is about 94db over 3500 rpm.
So, I've devised a system to keep the 'noise' gate valves closed at all times on the track. The valves are located about 12-18 inches down the rear of the 'active' pipes and can easily be seen with a flashlight (ok, a torch). Each 'solenoid' valve is activated by a vacuum pump located just above the valves. But since I have a V-8 with quad exhaust pipes (two outside pipes are the valved ones), I can't tell you much more regarding your V-6 exhaust system, but have to think they aren't that much different. Email me if you'd like photos of valve and my optional vacuum hose setup.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: ↑Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:38 am
scz4 wrote: ↑Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 am Can you see the valves when looking into the exhaust tips to confirm?
You can on the V8, but I think on the V6 they're on the other side of the back box.
Yep, the exhaust valves on the V6 are on the other side of the back box.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

I had a squeaky valve on my V6 exhaust, took it off the car, cleaned it up, tighten led anything loose and applied copper grease

Valves are the far side of the back box on the V6, image below

Only really accessible with the system off and dismantled

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

dbv6s did a proper job - I just pushed on the actuator rods while spraying some copper grease at them and worked it in a bit.

Wasn't squeaking, and used every drive which I think helps, but better to prevent the opportunity for future issues.

Sometimes all it needs is a little squirt :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Jowster95

Post by Jowster95 »

Glen B wrote: ↑Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:44 am Just joined and new to this forum. I live in California, and have had my V8-S since Dec. 2013.
I'm having a bit of the other problem with noise. My local track, Laguna Seca has a noise limit of 90db. Normal sound readings with active exhaust switch off is about 94db over 3500 rpm.
So, I've devised a system to keep the 'noise' gate valves closed at all times on the track. The valves are located about 12-18 inches down the rear of the 'active' pipes and can easily be seen with a flashlight (ok, a torch). Each 'solenoid' valve is activated by a vacuum pump located just above the valves. But since I have a V-8 with quad exhaust pipes (two outside pipes are the valved ones), I can't tell you much more regarding your V-6 exhaust system, but have to think they aren't that much different. Email me if you'd like photos of valve and my optional vacuum hose setup.

Yes please, I would be interested in seeing the photos of your vacuum hose setup, thank you 😁
Fez

Post by Fez »

No you can,t see the valves on a V6 by looking up the pipes, if you get change in tone then they are working. You have to consider the software you are running as this will determine when the valves operate. Use to be at tick over, now set to around the 1500rpm mark, but it is in bedded in the software. Pull th fuse will just leave valves open all the time an annoy loads of people.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Fez wrote: ↑Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:20 pm You have to consider the software you are running as this will determine when the valves operate. Use to be at tick over, now set to around the 1500rpm mark, but it is in bedded in the software.

The exhaust valves open at approx 1500 rpm on my car if I press the active exhaust button or select dynamic mode.

They're also open on start-up for a short while. which is normal.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

scz4 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:45 pm
Collected my 2013 V6S yesterday and looking to release a little more noise lower down the rev range. It's got the active exhaust with the button.

Dynamic mode keeps the exhaust valves open all the time, unlike the active exhaust button which opens them above c.1500rpm.

You can hear the exhaust note get a bit louder at idle when you switch into dynamic.
RWD V8 R
scm

Post by scm »

Alfie wrote: ↑Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:15 pm
scz4 wrote: ↑Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:45 pm Collected my 2013 V6S yesterday and looking to release a little more noise lower down the rev range. It's got the active exhaust with the button.
Dynamic mode keeps the exhaust valves open all the time, unlike the active exhaust button which opens them above c.1500rpm.
You can hear the exhaust note get a bit louder at idle when you switch into dynamic.
That's also how my MY18 works, but other MYs may behave differently.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post