Collected my V6S - Quite a few niggles

Anything F-Type related......
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Morning all,

Collected my 2013 V6S on Saturday and drove it 400 miles home, absolutely love it, such a hooligan of car, does bring out the worst in me though. However, my last 14 cars (with the exception of a Honda S2000) have all been BMW's and the difference in quality it quite staggering, however this is by far the most fun :D

It goes without saying that pictures will follow once it's all cleaned up! :D

So in no particular order, I was wondering if anyone has some quick fixes?
  • Headlining on soft-top above drivers head rattles\creaks like hell, you can see the previous owner has stuffed a cloth in the there to try to quieten it down, unsuccessfully
  • There's a creaking coming from the front wheels when turning at slow speed
  • Exhaust valves make a horrible noise when the car starts up for about 20 seconds, I've read up on this and will lubricate them
  • Drivers door speaker rattles and vibrates as soon as there's some bass. The Jaguar fix is for the subwoofers I think, not the door speakers
  • You just about about have to break your thumb to engage cruise control, the steering wheel control buttons really don't work
  • Rear camera picture is shocking, even after cleaning it you can hardly see anything, like it's permanently misted
  • Heated seats take an age to warm up and never get truly hot, perhaps just the way it is
Lastly, the roof doesn't open. It was opening in the videos the garage sent me and spoke to the previous owner who didn't have any problems, but they let the battery go flat. So the windows drop then absolutely nothing, no noise of the motor kicking in, no warnings. The dealer (Volvo) are going to arrange booking it in to my local Jaguar dealer and get it sorted so no worries there, but definitely took the shine off the collection.

Can't wait for the cold start this morning! :)

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Last edited by scz4 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

As you've only just collected I personally wouldn't be doing any quick fixes.

Thoroughly test the car. Inform supplying dealer of complete list of issues and get them to fix everything at the Jaguar dealer at no cost to yourself.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
chicb

Post by chicb »

Cruise, press button twice, does it for me
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Did you inspect and test drive the car before you purchased it? Were any of these faults apparent then?
Unless it was an absolute bargain I would be looking to return it and ask for my money back. So many good cars out there that you should not have to put up with a car with lots of niggles.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
devbrodie

Post by devbrodie »

As other have said, don't do any "fixes" yourself - take it back to the dealers. That being said, you do have a 9+ year old car, so there will be an expectation of a few issues here & there. Regarding the heated seats - are yours heated & cooled, or just heated? The heated/cooled ones do not get anywhere near as warm as those which are just heated. Its due to the fact that the heated seats, you are basically sat on the element, whereas in the heated/cooled ones, the element is in front of a fan which blows the heat through the seats
MY18 - F-Type 3L V6 R-dynamic AWD
Black Pack
Driver Pack
Winter Pack
Performance Seats
Meridian Surround Sound
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I won’t comment item by item and would suggest take back to dealer unless a private sale
For example if the exhaust squeaks it requires a new back bock. That’s £1600 plus fitting and a known problem. Had identical issue on mine when purchased. Lubrication is and miss temp fix
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

Re creaking from front wheels when turning - not sure I'd call it creaking, more a scrape on mine which turned out to be the three Torx bolts holding the brake shield in place had worked loose and were scraping against the back of the disc. Only noticeable on turns when the suspension was flexing a bit. May not be your issue, of course.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Surprised by some of the comments above, guessing the F type is still too expensive for people to role up their sleeves and tinker with them, but that's a huge part of the ownership experience for me, I get great satisfaction from fixing these little niggles and restoring them to A1 condition, certainly wouldn't consider returning a 7 year old car with 40k miles because of it. Agreed if it was a 2018 with 10k miles on it and cost me £50k, but I've bought at the bottom of the pack, so to be expected and let's be honest, they are well known for their niggles\gremlins had read about quite a few of these issues when researching.

Will keep searching on the internet for direction.

On the plus side, spent the last 6 hours starting to detail it and it's in fantastic condition cosmetically :)

GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t do your own fixes. It’s all pretty conventional stuff. Subscribe to Topix to get workshop practices and diagrams. Also lots of technical bulletins that may describe the problems you have, and recommended actions.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.
GARETH

Post by GARETH »

Absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t do your own fixes. It’s all pretty conventional stuff. Subscribe to Topix to get workshop practices and diagrams. Also lots of technical bulletins that may describe the problems you have, and recommended actions.
2014 Jaguar F-Type 3.0 S Coupe in Salsa red
2021 Land Rover Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE
1968 Land Rover Series 2a 88”
1966 Land Rover Series 2a 109” ex army.