Rubber channeling around coupe tailgate

Anything F-Type related......
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

The rubber channeling that runs around the recess for the tailgate and takes rain water away keeps coming away from the metal sides. I’m looking for suggestions as to the best double sided tape to re-fix as everything I’ve tried to date doesn’t last.

Thanks.
2017 F Type V6 coupe, storm grey, panoramic roof, 19" wheels

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I had the same issue with some parts of the rubber seal and I used Evo-Stik Impact/Contact adhesive to secure the seal against the tailgate bodywork channel. It worked a treat and is still holding tight.

I have read of others who have used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive for doing the job.

Inspect both surfaces to ensure they are clean and dry then apply the Evo-Stick to both surfaces with a thin brush (try not to go outside the affected areas). Keep both surfaces separated until the glue is touch dry then press both surfaces firmly together. Remove any excess glue with turps/white spirit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evo-Stik-Ins ... SwmBJcpIig

https://www.silmid.com/adhesives/rubber ... -5oz-tube/
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I had some 3m tape which I bought ages ago that I used for loads of things. Unfortunately I can't remember which one it was. The last bits were used to stick rollover bar covers on my daughters MX5 about 2 years ago. Still in place. You could email 3m a photo and ask them which tape would be suitable for this job.

Another tape option might be cyclists tubular tyre rim tape. It's high grab and allows a bit of movement, but getting it apart again at any point might be a challenge, albeit less permanent than glue, as the rim adhesive will dissolve with solvent.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Thanks both. I think I will try the 3M tape first and if that doesn’t work look at the other options.

Not sure if it’s related but the inside of the back window is getting covered in condensation when the temperature drops so don’t know if rain water is seeping in somewhere rather than running down the rubber channeling, boot looks dry.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Before I glued the rubber seal on mine there wasn't any noticeable condensation on the tailgate window so I doubt it's anything to do with that?

Have you removed the boot interior trim covers etc to check if any water is on the metal floor?

If all is dry, perhaps it's just the cold weather we're having and it looks like much worse is on its way!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Yes, I have removed the cover in the boot and the recessed part and all looks dry underneath.

The condensation is puzzling, I have a second car parked next to it and no problems with that, now opening the tailgate on a regular basis to dry the inside of the window and see if that reduces it over time.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Have you checked the rest of the interior of the car in case there's moisture elsewhere?

Take the F-Type out for a spin with the rear heated screen etc on.......that’ll take no time to clear the condensation.

You never know, perhaps when you’ve sealed the tailgate rubber it may help a little?

You could try swapping the parking spot with your second car, or try parking the F-Type the other way around to see what happens then? Light, wind, rain etc could cause some different effects?
Last edited by RPSN on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Is there a drain from the boot area. Could this be blocked? Sure I read somewhere of this same issue. Good Luck 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

The only drain holes I have seen in the boot area are the three separate holes along the plastic panel where you fill the windscreen wash fluid.

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

I’ve checked the rest of the car and cannot see any damp, also there is no smell of damp / mould.

I have the same drain holes in the boot area as the photos although I hadn’t appreciated they just go to the bodywork and don’t have small tubes to take the water away, there may be some pooling of water in that area which is then being drawn up to the rear window due to the temperature difference.

The amount of condensation would take some time to dry off with the heated screen and I think I will try parking the car the other way round to see it it makes a difference.

Thanks all for the suggestions, it’s more a puzzle than a major issue but would just like to resolve it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post