Fun on ice with JLR

Anything F-Type related......
Arne

Post by Arne »

This was an event hosted by the Norwegian JLR dealer that I use (last weekend). We got to drive most of the models in various trim levels, including some SVRs. It was great fun, and very interesting :D

https://vimeo.com/386719744?ref=em-share

(Hope the link work...)
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8

scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi Arne,

Looks great fun, I bet with an R RWD you are used to going sideways.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Arne

Post by Arne »

scharlton wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:17 pm Hi Arne,

Looks great fun, I bet with an R RWD you are used to going sideways.
Almost all the cars we drove on the ice were awd, and I really did miss the rwd. The "problem" with most of the JLR cars on the ice, is that even with esc off, the nannys still interfere when really sideways. The F-type awd not so though, BUT you do loose precision when trying to hit apex going sideways.

Problem is that when you loose too much traction on the rear going sideways, power is shifted towards front, causing traction to be lost there as well - and you drift too much out in an awd drift. The constant shift in power between front and rear axel, makes it a bit unpredictable, and more difficult to maintain a long drift with "apex precision". It is very easy to drift too far out from where you want to be.

It was a lot easier with the two rwd Astons (one Vantage and one Superlegera). A bit slower through the very slippery curves, but with much more precision and predictability = even more fun.

I think the rwd R would have been very much the same, but my R is in winterstorage and I don't have any winter wheels 😉

This is what we drove to and from the event (our 280 hp awd Arteon "everyday car"):

20200118_134850.jpg

F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8